We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Vertigo?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 2
Hotel Vertigo?

Ok, so after reading some posts about hotels in less solubrious areas, I thought I'd check this one with you. It seems like the best bet for our budget and had some good reviews. Is it safe and in an ok location? We are a couple in our 30s and will have our 14-month-old with us.

Baltimore
reviews: 1
1. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

Can’t speak to traveling with young children or if it matters, the location is nice. Reviews are good. Wander three blocks south, that’s down the hill, you’re deep in the Tenderloin; you may want to avoid the Tenderloin. In San Francisco, two blocks can be a different world.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

How about looking a tad bit closer to Union square. Have you looked at the Donatello or some other hotels more Easr Not sure about your budget. But the budget hotels include. grant, Baldwin , des Arts, Mayflower. Also with a toddler, have you looked at the Fishermans wharf area ?

Melbourne
3. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

Most of the hotels closer seem a bit too expensive. Really hoping for <$200 per night. Considered Fisherman's Wharf, in particular the Argonaut but it's over $500 per night! Would FW be better for us?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
4. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

Union Square vs. Fisherman's Wharf depends upon what you want to see and do. Fisherman's Wharf is often recommended for families, but, to be honest, I don't think a child as young as yours will care one way or another.

Read the Top Qustion which discusses Union Square vs. Fisherman's Wharf and see what appeals to you.

And, from another post, you will not want to have a car in the city, However, a collapsable umbrella stroller will be convenient -- more like necessary really.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
5. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

We have been able to get the Donatello for under $200 for several visits this coming year. One advantage, besides the location is that the rooms come with a sleeper sofa plus a king size bed, and they also have a microwave and fridge, which would come in handy, I would thin, for meals or snacks for your 14 month old.

San Francisco...
6. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

I second union square!

Melbourne
7. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

Ok -will look at the Donatello. Would we be likely to get a better deal booking in a couple of months? We are going mid-May.

Couch sounds good but will probably need a cot/crib.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
8. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

I would make reservations ASAP. As conventions come into town, hotel prices rise, rise, rise.

I currently have reservations for the Donatello and the Chancellor for 5 nights into May.

The "couch" at the Donatello makes into a queen size bed, the child would not be sleeping on a sofa.

Melbourne
9. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

I understand about the sofa bed but I wouldn't feel comfortable having her sleep on a sofa bed...too much risk of her rolling off or suffocating.

San Francisco...
10. Re: Hotel Vertigo?

That location is safe. It's on the edge of a sketchy neighborhood but also right amongst many dormitories for a large Art College and many bars and restaurants. As previous reply noted, probably best to avoid walking more than a couple blocks south down the hill, but honestly the danger is probably over-hyped.

The walk to union square and and mass transit is going to be 10-15 minutes from Vertigo. But walking in San Francisco is a great way to get a feel for the unique neighborhoods etc.

Enjoy.