We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
reviews: 266
Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

I'm looking for an off airport car rental agency near SFO.

Plan is to arrive at SFO, rent a car and head to Sonoma for a few days, but car rentals from the airport are ridiculous.

Have already looked at the Payless location that is accessible via secondary shuttle from the SFO rental car center, also expensive.

Trying to get around the high prices by renting off airport or from a hotel, etc, which we can taxi/shuttle to.

Any suggestions appreciated.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

I don't know what you consider ridiculous but I presume you are looking at carhire3000.com or the non US sites for insurance included rates.

Please do NOT rent from 3rd tier companies, Payless or others. Please ONLY rent from Hertz, Avis, Budget, Enterprise or Alamo

Avis has a location in San Bruno that you could take a cab to or take the BART train to. It is in the Tanforan Mall in San Bruno.

There are other off airport locations in that city for Enterprise or Hertz.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
2. Re: Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

Actually, I'm looking at US sites and I've been looking at the majors for the most part. I looked at Payless because it was mentioned on the SFO car rental center's website as off-airport.

I find $86-105 a day for a compact ridiculous, and that's before taxes.

I don't need insurance, have that taken care of.

I'll take a look at the San Bruno location, thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

If you are looking at US websites, then you may want to use coupons, codes from airlines, hotels, AAA clubs to bring the rate down. Rates go up and down based on supply/demand so one has to find the best deals to get rates down. For example, Avis Local editions have deals for 20 to 30 percent off on the Avis page. Other companies may also have deals.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
4. Re: Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

Be sure you indicate your country of residence on the website. It seems easier to use the UK versions, but maybe the .com versions will be sufficient. For example, www.Hertz.co.uk might be a better option for your search than www.Hertz.com

Please check TravelJigsaw, CarHire3000, and USRentACar You might find a great deal!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
5. Re: Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

Thanks everyone. US Rentacar has some good rates, think I might go with them.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
reviews: 12
6. Re: Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

It is vice versa. US residents are charged higher in Australia than Australians by any international rent-a-car companies. Use local/domestic ones..

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
7. Re: Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

That's been my experience too amazinga, but regardless, I always book through US sites, using the US as my country of residence. I'm an American, so it's force of habit more than anything, and of course I'd rather pay in USD than AUD, since we're on the USD payroll even though we live in AUS.

Edited: 2:14 am, January 02, 2013
8. Re: Off airport car rental agencies near SFO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, January 06, 2014