We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Trucks

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melb
reviews: 63
Food Trucks

Food Trucks are huge in San Francisco- which ones do you like best?

I have tried the one in Union Square and find them a bit of a hit and miss. See my review here:

…wordpress.com/2012/…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 27
1. Re: Food Trucks

Food trucks can be fun and I agree they can be hit and miss, and maybe a bit trendy/hyped right now. I admit I've gotten a bit put off by waiting in line for 30 minutes and then standing around for another 20 minutes before my food is ready if the food isn't that remarkable--which is an experience I've had at some of them.

I still haven't gone to the big gathering of trucks at Fort Mason on Friday evenings. I've tried things that were at the Treasure Island flea market, in downtown Oakland and uptown Oakland since I work around there. There is also a fairly big gathering of street food and trucks around First Friday/Art Murmur in uptown Oakland (near 19th street Oakland Bart) the first Friday evening each month.

I thought some fried chicken I got on treasure island was surprisingly good (crispy skin, juicy meat, good spices, hot and freshly cooked). A number of other things I've gotten were OK, but more or less forgettable.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 46
2. Re: Food Trucks

The lines and crowds can be ridiculous. I like some of the smaller venues... the North Beach Sunday Farmer's Market frequently has Chairman Bao. There's also a new Off the Grid in North Beach on Wednesdays, which is smaller (both the number of trucks and the number of people) than Friday at Fort Mason.

I like the way Portland does this, with food truck "pods" , permanent locations where there are places to sit. There is one place like this called StrEat Food Pod at 428 11th St., which has a beer garden feel, with tables, restrooms, beer, tvs, etc. There's also Proxy on Octavia Street, which has food trucks and Smitten Ice Cream.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Food Trucks

I agree with what's been said about the hyped nature of food trucks.

It's been awhile since I went to Off the Grid on Friday evenings at Fort Mason but we went relatively early and didn't have an issues with wait time -- either in line or for our food.

There's live music and those in know take their own collapsable chairs.

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
4. Re: Food Trucks

Similar food and prices can be had in the basement level of the Westfield Center on Market St...a huge variety of ethnic and American food. Yes, it's not like the food truck venues, but it's always there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 110
5. Re: Food Trucks

The food truck fad is over. San Francisco was on the cutting edge, but now they are everywhere. It's very 2010.

Melb
6. Re: Food Trucks

Hahahaha in Melbourne they have just started but local shops are trying to stop them from getting food licences! I can't believe the trend is over in SF already :( Damn! LOL

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
7. Re: Food Trucks

Sfimporter sorry what does it mean the food truck fad is over ? I see plenty of trucks in SF. Many more trucks than say a few years ago, actual licenses being given to the trucks now instead of being an unlicensed restaurant, permanent food truck locations such as the SOMA food truck location, long lines.

If you say the novelty is over for some, I get that.

Also we did have the roach coaches here and around the US for many many years but they were not yuppified. The modern truck and its usage of twitter started with the Korean Taco Truck in Los Angeles and grew from there

To the OP, it all started the same way in the US with the brick and mortar restaurants raising hell and some still do but now it is a love hate relationship

Are you still in the SF and looking for trucks ? Did you try Roli Roti at the Ferry Building ?

Edited: 10:27 am, January 03, 2013
NoCal
8. Re: Food Trucks

they are trendy and almost the same price as a sit down restaurant. IMHO, the only true food people are the outlaw taco stands who start serving after 5pm, which is when the Health Dept ends their day. I find these places in East Los Angeles.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 110
9. Re: Food Trucks

My observation was that Food Trucks seem to be most popular with tourists and twenty-somethings.

The whole - lets go to a round-up of circled food trucks has limited appeal. As referenced in an earlier post by someone - excitement is waning and being replaced by - "I waited how long? It costs how much?" for people to eat outside with disposable utensils and plates.

I pass a coffee truck and a bahn mi truck on my way to work - and they pretty much sit there spewing out exhaust from their gas generators. It doesn't seem very environmentally responsible.

Food Trucks are the razor scooter of the decade. While razor scooters were once looked on as hip and trendy - you now see someone on them and think they're a bit childish.

I've obviously never been in the target audience.

10. Re: Food Trucks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, January 06, 2014