We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas period

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
123 reviews
christmas period

Hi

We are having an extra couple of days in SF over Christmas and am looking at making a plan for this extra time. The main issue is picking places to eat that will be open 24/25/26 December. I have booked Kokkari on 24 Dec and Fish and Farm on 25 Dec, definitely wanted to try Kokkari due to reviews and not as many options on 25 so picked off Open Table. I wanted to try Ike's Place but they may be closed on 24 as well as 25 so could only try on the 23rd and would spend day in Mission/Castro/Twin Peaks or try and fit in GGP, Land's End Trail and GGB instead. We were also planning spending a day exploring North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf area (thinking about trying Hollywood Cafe) I was wondering what good breakfast places would be open on 24/25/26 Dec?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
Level Contributor
32,936 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: christmas period

I would not recommend Hollywood Cafe (or much else in the FW area). There are a couple of food trucks on Jones between Jefferson and Beach -- Codmother Fish & Chips is one (although perhaps that hits a bit close to home). North Beach is just a few blocks up with a lot of options -- mostly Italian. Or hop on an outbound 30-Stockton and check out Chestnut Street.

I would think that lunch on the 24th shouldn't be too much of a problem and the 26th should be business as usual (we do not celebrate "Boxing Day").

With regards to breakfast: where are you staying? And are you looking for something fairly quick or are you into the breakfast "experience" such as Mama's or Dottie's? The 25th will be the difficult day and you might have to order room service, eat in the hotel restaurant or plan ahead and have fruit/muffins laid in.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: christmas period

Kokkari is excellent... I think you will love it!

We love The Butler and the Chef, as well as Stacks for breakfast type food, although I'm not sure if they will be open. Both are a bit aways from Union Square, so may not be ultra convenient for you. But I thought I would throw out those names for your consideration :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
27,997 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: christmas period

I hate to say this, since you have booked it, but I found Fish and Farm underwhelming. Its space is a former hotel breakfast cafe, so it is narrow and you are sitting in tiny tables along a wall. It was depressing to me. And I was not blown away by the food or the service. Just my opinion.

Would not be my choice for a Christmas dinner.

Edited: 9:27 pm, December 03, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: christmas period

Sal: We are staying in Hotel Stratford on Powell St at Union Square and will be buying a Muni pass as well as enjoying walking too. I decided I would like to try Hollywood Cafe due to reviews on TA, when on holiday I like to eat as much as possible and love a big "American" breakfast! So would like to have a couple of days with proper breakfast items and nice sit down meal e.g. french toast etc. although was thinking about exploring Mission/Castro area and having breakfast sandwiches from Ike's or Bi-rite etc. I have looked at some local restaurants breakfast menu for the 25th although so far none sound very exciting.

Brett: Am def looking forward to Kokkari, as they are not open for Xmas Day, will make it the special blow out eat everything meal! Will look at your suggestions, we are up for a bit of travelling about anyway (weather-dependent!)

Puter: I am aware F+F may be a bit meh, I just didn't know which one to pick as although there are about 70 restaurants, and none seemed to be jumping out as a good option :(

Thanks for all the info!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
Level Contributor
32,936 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: christmas period

I would go with Pat's or Mama's in that general area for breakfast over the Hollywood Cafe. TA restaurant reviews are mostly by travelers who aren't aware of other places that are available. Even Yelp reviews of the Hollywood Cafe are by out of towners. (Indicating how few locals eat there.)

I've never been to F&F as at one time they forced a gratuity regardless of the size of the party. I see they've changed that and are only automatically adding a tip to parties of 6 or more.

In the Union Square area I like Cafe Claude, many of the spots on Belden Alley and Venticello up on Nob Hill. I've also heard that Gitane, across the alley from Cafe Claude is quite good as well.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: christmas period

***I hate to say this, since you have booked it, but I found Fish and Farm underwhelming. Its space is a former hotel breakfast cafe, so it is narrow and you are sitting in tiny tables along a wall. It was depressing to me. And I was not blown away by the food or the service. ***

Really? I thought Fish & Farm was a very intimate setting, far from depressing! The tables are close together, but so are a lot of places in SF. Service was excellent & the food was very fresh! I'd go back. When was the last time you were there?

Sal- so glad you mentioned Cafe Claude. We loved that place! I swear I had the best quiche I think I've ever had. I'm surprised it doesn't get more kudos. As they say, different stokes for different folks.

7. Re: christmas period

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, December 17, 2013