We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
33 reviews
Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

I haven't seen any reviews of the current exhibit, "Gifts from the Gods" at the Legion of Honor. For those who have seen it, what did you think? I'd like to visit the museum right after the Gods exhibit closes, but if it is outstanding, I'll see it the first day of my visit.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
Level Contributor
32,971 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

To be honest, I wouldn't rearrange my schedule to see this. It's a small exhibit (just Gallery 1) with items from the museum's own collection. The idea was to put together items related to the Olympics. There are some ancient things, and some more modern.

If this is any barometer, I'm at the Legion once a week and I've only felt the need to see this exhibit once.

On the upside, Gallery 2 has been reinstalled after many months of various special exhibits (Mourners, Roman floor, etc) so if you enjoy late Gothic/early Renaissance those things are back.

There isn't a large special exhibit at the Legion until mid-November when "Treasures from the Louvre" opens. However at the de Young now is the William Paley "Taste for Modernism" and Nureyev's costumes -- both are excellent and $20 gets you into both.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

Thank you Sal. I look forward to the Louvre exhibit. I hope it is as exciting as the Cartier exhibit a few years ago.

One more question. Last year, the porcelain gallery was closed - I think it was being used as storage for an exhibit. Has it reopened? I really enjoyed the Barcelona Chairs - a great place to relax for a few minutes.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,971 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

I loved the Cartier show! Must have seen it a couple of dozen times and that still wasn't enough. The Louvre show will be more "decorative arts" type stuff. I'm looking forward to it but someone said "you like looking at stuff you have to dust?" So YMMV. :)

The Porcelain Gallery has indeed reopened -- it was reinstalled and looks much better. There is also an iPod tour of this gallery which you can check out (free) from Coat Check. There is a docent in the gallery on Friday afternoons and I believe at some point you can go into a little side room and see some items out of cases and possible handle them (don't quote me on this but I think so). And yes, the chairs in that gallery are comfy.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

Sorry to drag this thread up again, but now that the Louvre exhibit has opened, I'm wondering what you think of it. I see that tickets are on sale in similar fashion to the Cartier exhibit. I have a Sunday morning free in late January and might be interested. The Legion is such a lovely location, I hate to pass it by.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,971 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

TBH it's not Cartier (but then again, what is?) but if you like Dec Arts, it has some amazing things. I have only been through twice and both times rather quickly. But those two brief glimpses make me want to spend another couple of visits looking in depth. This exhibit didn't get the greatest review in our paper (go to www.sfgate.com and click Entertainment/Art) and it hasn't been overly crowded.

Another interesting thing going on at the Legion is the conservation of the Salon Dore. The British Gallery has been de-installed in order to allow visitors to view the conservation in progress. Last time I was there there were two people at work on the conservation.

…famsf.org/blog/framework-salon-dor-legion-h…

…famsf.org/legion/collections/salondore

I don't know your exact dates but if you're here 1/26 or later, I would suggest getting tickets to "Girl With the Pearl Earring," "Rembrandt's Century" and "Nureyev: A Life In Dance" at the de Young.

Edited: 6:04 pm, December 11, 2012
Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

Thanks for the info. I had planned on visiting de Young around the 29th. I didn't realize Nureyev required a special ticket, but I certainly will do it. So I'm guessing my City Pass tickets aren't of much use for these two museums - which is fine. There is still the Academy of Sciences ticket. It's surprising how much effort can go into planning. I really admire those who can just pack their suitcase and go. Then again - they might be missing a lot.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,971 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

If you buy a ticket to "Girl With the Pearl Earring" it includes both "Rembrandt's Century" and "Nureyev."

The City Pass is good only for General Admission to the museum. "Girl With The Pearl" would be $15 extra which would include all special exhibits at the de Young that day. If you hot footed it over to the Legion it would include your GA that day and Louvre would be $10 additional.

"Girl with the Pearl Earring" is the ONLY one of these exhibits that requires a ticket timed to date and half hour. As of now all times are available on the 29th but I would guess that as advertising of this show ramps up (there are no public ads as of yet -- such as posters on buses or light standards -- probably because the Paley show is still on to the end of the year) I'd expect that to change. I'd order a ticket for "Girl" as soon as your plans are finalized.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

Thanks Sal. I went online and tickets are available. I'll try and order tomorrow. The only issue is that the ticket includes general admission and there is no way to deduct the City Pass general admission on either the Legion or de Young site. Since I want to spend some time in the park, I don't want to do both on the same day. I can hardly wait!

9. Re: Legion of Honor "Gods" exhibit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 14, 2013