We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 51
Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

Thought got a good deal on a car rental (about 53 including taxes for the day) with Alamo, but, am now reading that some have had lengthy waits in line to pick up their car. Anyone with good experiences with their car rental picked up near Union Square? Is Alamo really the outlier for long lines, or is this a common issue for all of the car rental agencies? Thanks so much.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
1. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

Few of us who live in the area have rented a car from Union Square. So, what you have heard has depended upon the experience of visitors who have.

Hopefully, some of them will chime in. I would think that a reasonable wait would be better than a 13 mile trip to the airport.

If you join a car rental company's "club", Alamo Quicksilver and Budget Fastbreak, or Avis Preferred, for example, and make your reservation ahead of time using that membership number I believe that most of them let you 'jump the line' and just pick up your car. It worked for us with Alamo in Hawaii. (When you join the "club" all of your information is in their file.) It's freee Check on that.

Edited: 7:56 pm, October 20, 2012
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

Agree that is the way to do it. You can still join and call Alamo and have your number added to the reservation but pl check your rate

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
3. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

Yes, do check your rate. "Club" members are supposed to get a discount, however. But who know? :~)

Yokohama, Japan
reviews: 1
4. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

have pick up cars at Offarel several times, long time ago. Dont remember if they had a long line, might be not.

http://goo.gl/maps/vFFQn

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
5. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

lacontessa,

Responder means "O'Farrell Street". That is one street in the "Union Square" area. There is also at least one on Mason Street, in the same area.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 38
6. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

I used to drive down O'Farrell a couple of mornings a week, and all the car rental companies seem to have long lines during the summer.

Limerick...
reviews: 94
7. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

We used Avis on Post .

Waited about 5 minutes.

Another time rented from Hertz at SFO.

Dropped car at Hertz on Mason no extra charge.

Go online join there clubs.

San Francisco...
reviews: 88
8. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

I would imagine that if you rented your car early in the morning the lines wouldn't be very long - so try to schedule for when they open. I cant attest to Alamo, my wife rents from the downtown Enterprise facility several times a year - we show up at ~9am and she has her car in 10-15 minutes

NoCal
reviews: 64
9. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

I was told by a clerk at one of the major car agencies, before 9am. I get my car there as early as 7am, once it first opens.

10. Re: Car rental agency near Union Square & Lines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 23, 2013