We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April or July/August?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, UK
reviews: 65
April or July/August?

Hi everyone... not sure if anyone remembers me but we're hoping to come and visit again next year - this time with my family.

We're planning on visiting SF, Monterey, PCH, Anaheim, GrandCanyon and Vegas.

Because my Dad works in a school we're limited to school holidays so have the option of visiting the first two weeks in April, or the last week in July & first week in August.

What would the key differences be between each option for SF? I'm specifically interested in SF as it's the place my mum wants to visit the most.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 69
1. Re: April or July/August?

It most likely will be clear in SF in April, whereas it is more likely to be foggy in July/August. Temperatures are very mild, so it might only be 1-2 degrees cooler in April than August. We get a couple hot days per year, but they are hard to predict. They don't usually come in any of the 3 months you mentioned.

Whether in Monterey will be similar to SF. It might be a little warmer in August, though not by much.

The weather in Anaheim, the Grand Canyon, and especially Las Vegas will be significantly hotter in July/August than April. I suggest you decide how much heat you can tolerate and then pick a month that suits you best. I think April will be more to your liking unless you really like it 40+ degrees (Celsius) every day.

sf
2. Re: April or July/August?

Weather is the main variable in the Bay Area, with April being usually Fair but windy, while July and early August usually Foggy. The crowds are usually less in April than the Summer months, for the same reason you're travelling-schools. Also we tend to have a lot of conventions, which impact the room costs and availability, check out the link:http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/media/all-about-sf/convention-calendar/

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
3. Re: April or July/August?

April is not the peak season for visitors to CA. Summer vacations start in June and end about the August time frame so you will have bigger crowds during July and August. You may get better hotel deals in April than in July or August . We personally do not like the temps in Az and NV during Summer.

You may get better airfare deals in April

4. Re: April or July/August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, December 15, 2013