We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant near the water with fun atmosphere

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield, Mo
reviews: 17
Restaurant near the water with fun atmosphere

I'm looking for a good restaurant, near the water with a fun atmosphere. We like seafood, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Italian, Meditteranean. I'd love suggestions.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Restaurant near the water with fun atmosphere

There are a lot of restaurants at Fisherman's Wharf but I don't think any have good food, and certainly not for the price paid.

Waterbar or Epic Roasthouse are further along the Embarcadero and are good but I'm not sure what you mean by "fun atmosphers." For that I think of the The Ramp: http://www.theramprestaurant.com/

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
2. Re: Restaurant near the water with fun atmosphere

I just spent an evening in La Mar Cebicheria, a Peruvian restaurant at Pier 1.5, to the left of the Ferry Building. It is large, has a narrow view of the Bay, serves wonderful Peruvian dishes and appetizers, and perhaps some music. Has a popular deck area with heaters overhead onsome tables.

Quite hip, to me, anyway. Seafood of course.

Edited: 3:02 pm, October 06, 2012
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 27
3. Re: Restaurant near the water with fun atmosphere

I'm thinking that someplace in or near the ferry building may be good since it is near the water. I agree with RamblinSal, that Fisherman's Wharf isn't a great location for food in general, though some places have nice views. My food experiences there usually involve paying $16 to $40 per person for food that really should be priced for maybe $7 to $15 (and you can find better food for those prices).

I'm not sure what you're looking for when you say "fun atmosphere." I'm picturing cliff divers and parrots, or people in funny outfits, or lots of wacky decorations, but that may not be what you're after.

Maybe you're looking for a more informal restaurant with views of the water? The ferry building has a lot of places to eat, some of the restaurants there also have views of the water or have tables on the back sidewalk near the water. The Slanted Door and Hog Island Oyster Company seem to be popular spots (get reservations ahead for Slanted Door). Il Cane Rosso has tables on the back sidewalk there but is more "fast casual."

Many people seem to love Water Bar for fish and views, but it is somewhat expensive and I wouldn't consider it especially fun. Greens at Fort Mason has nice views but is vegetarian.

Some people consider Foreign Cinema a unique and fun dining option, but it is nowhere near the water. There are lots of unique places to eat, but there are a limited number of places with water views.

There are even some boats that do cruises with food, but I'm not sure how good the food is.

--
reviews: 2
4. Re: Restaurant near the water with fun atmosphere

Pier 23 Cafe http://www.pier23cafe.com/main perhaps? Their food is sort of hit-or-miss in my book, but when the weather's good or the right band is playing it can be quite atmospheric in a casual kind of way. Guy Fieri's done a segment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtpOGa6-cfY on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives foodnetwork.com/local/…index.html on the place if you're into that kind of hyperbole.

surrey
reviews: 24
5. Re: Restaurant near the water with fun atmosphere

I really like Slanted Door - not sure if that will be what you had in mind when you said 'fun' but i love the ambiance there.

Springfield, Mo
reviews: 17
6. Re: Restaurant near the water with fun atmosphere

When I say fun atmosphere, I guess my definition is someplace where there is a good atmosphere, nice drink options... something that 30-40 somethings would enjoy. A water view would be nice, but not a must.

7. Re: Restaurant near the water with fun atmosphere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, December 14, 2013