We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th 2013 honeymoon

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
July 4th 2013 honeymoon

Hi

Me and my wife to be will be in San Francisco as part of our road trip honeymoon through California. Our stay in San Francisco will mean we are there for the 4th of july celebrations (3rd-7th). As it is our honeymoon we would like to experience something special and was looking for reccomendations and wether we need to book early (prior) to flying to the USA to make sure we don't miss out.

I have read up about the fireworks on the golden gate and this would be nice to experience but not sure where the best/most romantic place to see them would be also if there is any alternative celebrations we are open to ideas

Thanks in advance

Russ

San Francisco Bay...
reviews: 120
1. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

Hornblower Cruises always does a dinner cruise around the bay and Golden Gate Bridge on 4th of July. Watching the fireworks (if it is not foggy) from the bay is spectacular, and I think it is romantic.

We are very glad you are coming to visit us.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
2. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

A few months before you come to SF, please look at www.sfweekly.com and www.sfstation.com for events during that time. It is a tad bit early. The only thing one needs to book is hotel and car (a car is not needed in SF so this would be for your trip after SF. If SF is in the middle of your road trip, well you will have to pay for parking )and Alcatraz cruise if you plan to do that.

Edited: 3:36 pm, September 20, 2012
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

<<fireworks on the golden gate >>

The fireworks are not fired off from the Golden Gate Bridge but rather along the waterfront near Fisherman's Wharf. July is one of our foggiest times of year so often the fireworks show is rather shrouded.

On the 4th the Wharf area is very crowded. Other parts of town are less so as locals leave town (especially if the 4th creates a long weekend).

Doncaster, United...
4. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

Thanks for the advise San Francisco is the first leg of our trip so pick our car up on the final day of our stay ready to leave for yosemite plus we have all our hotels booked so no worries there. Hopefully it will be clear but maybe we should have a back up plan just in case

Ennis, Ireland
reviews: 160
5. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

Hi Russ, we were on holiday in San Francisco this year during the 4th July celebrations.

We had an absolutely brilliant view of the fireworks and enjoyed a magical evening aboard the battleship SS Jeremiah O'Brien, which is located at pier 45, Fisherman's Wharf.

They served hot dogs, chips and hot drinks and had live music to entertain us.

I guess it might not be the most romantic evening, but we loved it. Also there was no need to book too far in advance and we just booked that morning.

http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org/

Boise, Idaho
reviews: 2
6. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

I was in San Francisco a couple of years ago but not over the 4th of July. If you are around Union Square, go to the Sir Francis Drake hotel in the afternoon for a fabulous view of the city, also I believe if you go to the shops at Union Square there is a little restaurant in the rotunda that has great views. The Starlight room is at Sir Francis Drake on the 21st floor. There are some really good bistro style restaurants in "little Italy". We took a boat tour around Alcatraz instead of actually stopping and going to the island, which was very pleasant.

Hope that you have fun!

Doncaster, United...
7. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

We are actually stopping at the Sir Francis Drake while in San Francisco so this could also be an option thank you. Thank you banner girl I will look into the SS Jeremiah Obrian as I have also been looking at another war ship which does a similar thing the USS Hornet.

Seal Beach...
8. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

Not sure if you're into sailing at all, but the opening weekend of the Louis Vuitton Cup (precursor to the America's Cup) begins on July 4th this year in SF. My Kiwi husband and I are coming up from LA just for that, In addition to all of the usual Independence Day hoopla, there is sure to be plenty of extra excitement around the waterfront. There will be fleet racing on the 5th that's visible from anywhere along the shore. The new AC 72 boats are huge, extremely fast, and exciting to watch. If you like Irish coffees, be sure to stop at the Buena Vista (at the end of the cable car line just next to the Cannery) for one of SF's finest coffe drinks! I also second the suggestion taking in the view from the Starlight Room at the Sir Francis Drake and finding a cozy North Shore Italian spot for a romantic dinner (Trattoria Contadina is a favorite of ours).

reviews: 76
9. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

Those ships are docked on the same pier and the Jeremiah O'Brien was actually used to film some scenes in the titanic (thats romantic) lol

10. Re: July 4th 2013 honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 23, 2014