We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

This will be interesting: sfgate.com/bayarea/article/New-ways-to-pay-3…

San Francisco...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

A similar system was implemented a few years ago on the WestLink bridge in Dublin, Ireland, and was surprisingly trouble-free. It also drastically reduced the traffic jams that used to build up every rush hour.

London, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

Yea, it doesn't really say what the all-electronic means.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

The biggest winners will be the toll car companies who will not only charge a daily fee for their fastrak devices and most will just sign up not knowing what the options are.

Asking people to pay after they get their rental car will be a hot topic on TA -- I can see that. LOL

There are some roads such as the 91 Express lane in Southern Ca that is Fastrak only but one can use the non Express lanes and get away and yes @Darkbeer that is nothing to do with the Golden Gate Bridge which will have no other alternatives on that Bridge so let's not do the FYI part here.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
4. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

It means that there won't be any toll takers.

We already have an electronic pass (FasTrac) which regular users of the bridge have a transponder in their car.

The change here is that people will have to somehow pay the toll via the license plate system.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
5. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

In post 3 I meant the rental car companies not the toll car companies.

Asking folks to pay after renting a car with the license plate will be a very interesting exercise.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
6. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

Rental car companies may force the FasTrac and not make it an option.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
7. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

I have a bright, shiny new transponder down here in LA so I can use the Harbor Freeway come November, but I understand mine is different from the ones the folks in northern California use. I hope mine works up there. Ah well...

San Francisco...
reviews: 57
8. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

The way it works in Ireland is that if you drive across the bridge with no FasTrac device, you then have 24 hours to pay the minimum toll at a number of different outlets (convenience stores, gas stations etc). If you don't do that within 24 hours, you then receive a letter in the mail (based on your license plate) which invoices you for double the toll amount. You have something like 30 days to pay that invoice.

I think the way it works with rental cars is the same as if you were caught on a speed camera, they don't have mandatory FasTrac devices, they just inform you that you must pay your own tolls, and if they receive an invoice in the mail from when you had the car rented, they will hit your credit card with the charge, same as a speed camera offence.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
9. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

SPAP As far as I know Fastrak works in any Ca location. We have used ours in SoCal and not gotten a ticket. Unless there is something new in terms of devices that I dont know about , if it is a standard Fastrak devide then it should work.

The Fastrak RFID devices here in CA won't work in other states but you should be ok when you drive up from LA to SF

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
10. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls Go All Electronic By Feb. 2013

For the record, FasTrak works on any toll road facility in California. I have used my transponder on the 73 in Orange County and the 125 in San Diego with no problems. So if you are visiting the Bay Area and have plans to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge come February, I recommend packing your transponder!