We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheyenne, Wyoming
reviews: 1
public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

We are so excited to be visiting SF! We are arriving at SFO and wanted to know if there is any bus/transit services that would take us from the airport to Fisherman's Wharf. We will be traveling with carry-on luggage and I am not too sure that these would fit under the BART seats. We have been told that we will probably have to use the shuttle buses and to plan on spending $90 for that form of transportation. Thank you for your replies!

Austin, Texas
reviews: 3
1. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

BART is the way to go, IMO. Never done it, but it's only $8/person. Or a $75 cab ride. Use that extra $67 on dinner and strong drinks.

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
2. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

Husker- It's gone up to $8.25 per person. If you have lots of people in your party, you may want to use shuttles or taxis, but if it's only 2 people, BART is quite easy to use, and will be almost as fast to downtown as a taxi. You will have no trouble with luggage, even if it will not be just carry-ons. There's plenty of room for large luggage on BART, coming from the airport.

Go up to the right hand corner of this page and read "Top Questions about SF" in the Topic "How to Get to Fisherman's Wharf from SFO"

In fact read ALL the topics, and almost all your questions may be answered!

We have plenty of places for wonderful dining and strong drinks! Take the money and eat.

Edited: 1:59 pm, September 12, 2012
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
3. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

BART does NOT go to Fisherman's Wharf The poster who mentioned that was confused about the SF transportation in a previous post so perhaps it would be best for him to advise people after he has visited SF and is less confused

As as was said the top questions will help you and a combo of BART and a cab may work best for 2 people

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 42
4. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

BART and cab-- pick up a cab in front of the Hyatt on Market, just above Embarcadero station.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
5. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

Luggage is fine on BART -- just try to keep any wheelie bags clear of the doors and as out of the aisleways as possible. The cars were built long before the airport connection was added so they do not have a specific place for luggage but unless you are arriving at morning rush it shouldn't be a problem.

The downtown stations are frequently busy, regardless of time of day, so it is a good idea to be at the doors when the car arrives at the station and the doors open. So, after Montgomery Street, make your way to the doors and be ready to exit when the doors open (unfortunately, people are not that good about letting people off as they get on the train).

Look for exit 1A which will bring you up right at the Hyatt Regency. There is a cab stand on Drumm Street in front of the hotel and you can pick up a cab there that will get you to Fisherman's Wharf.

illinois
reviews: 31
6. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

So, I'm a stranger coming in to a new airport and I get off the plane at SFO and want to get on this BART for the first time. Is there only "one" BART line out of the airport, or will we be confused figuring out what to do?

Where do we find BART at the airport? Is taking a cab just a whole lot easier, or is the BART thing really really easy, even for first trip to the city?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
7. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

illinoisdad ... airports in general are very well signed, and SFO is no different.

If you are arriving on a domestic flight you will follow signs for the AirTrain which will get you over to the BART station. The airport is the end of the line for BART trains.

I've dealt with trains out of airports in Chicago, Philly, NYC, London, Paris and Milan. I think the SFO to BART connection is right in line with what is available elsewhere. At $8.25 per person it's much cheaper than a cab unless you are a party of 4 or more.

www.flysfo.com for an airport map

www.bart.gov for all things BART

illinois
reviews: 31
8. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

Thanks RamblinSal. So, we get off plane, follow signs to AirTrain, which we ride to BART station, and then at BART station, ...it looks like all lines out will go to Embarcadero. Thank you for the links also.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
9. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

The BART line from SFO will go to Embarcadero. But where are you staying? Embarcadero is the station for hotels in that area (such as the Hyatt Regency) or for getting a cab to Fisherman's Wharf. However, most Union Square hotels are walking distance from the Powell St. Station.

So, let us know where you're staying and we can be more specific.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 55
10. Re: public transportation from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf

If you have enough people that a shuttle to Fisherman's Wharf will be $90, take a taxi and save $40!! A shuttle to the Wharf should be around $20 per person (it's $16-19 to Union Square, so I figure a small increase over that to the Wharf, at most). A shuttle will take you door-to-door, BUT, you may have a long ride around town if they drop off other people before you. (My personal record is something like 2+ hours getting from CDG to the Marais in Paris... it actually got to be funny as the van driver stopped for gas, then a cigarette, then directions, then another cigarette.....)

Actually, we usually take a taxi on arrival, since it's generally faster and more convenient, and doesn't stress us out. If it's a relatively small difference in price, we prefer the ease. Taxi from the airport to the Wharf will be around $50-55, depending on time of day and traffic.

I prefer to venture onto public transit in a strange city when I'm not jetlagged and disoriented. But BART would be fine if that's your choice, it's just a personal preference.

Edited: 4:27 am, September 15, 2012