We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roastbeef

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 4
roastbeef

is there a restaurant that served a thick rare slice of roastbeef au jus

the english or north american cut not the french one and not a sandwich all I could find is sandwich I probably didn't look at the right place

--
reviews: 2
1. Re: roastbeef

The mothership for a heaping slab `o cow flesh would be the House of Prime Rib on Van Ness. http://www.houseofprimerib.net

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 110
2. Re: roastbeef

Consider "Home" if you are anywhere near the Castro. It's actually right above the Church Street Metro station: http://www.home-sf.com

Good Pot Roast - or am I confusing pot roast with roast beef? I probably am. Still a good meal if you're in the neighborhood. Definitely American classic centric.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
3. Re: roastbeef

I love catchy titles like this ;-)

Okay, I thought an "American" (or just the usual slab you get in a restaurant) cut was thick and an "English" cut was quite thin? What is a French one?

I'm talking about prime rib.

Montreal, Canada
4. Re: roastbeef

the north american cut is in restaurant the upperpart of the leg and rump

and at home I like the cross rib prepared by a good butcher and here in montreal the french cut is boneless and I don't know which part of the cow it comes from but it is not very popular, the taste is not there may be because of lack of bones

I wil try to get a resrvation at house of prime rib but now their site is not accessible

--
5. Re: roastbeef

You're right, the House of Prime Rib's website seems to be having a problem at the moment. It's immaterial, however, as at least as of a couple of months ago, they were sticking with their old-school ways and didn't accept reservations via the internet. You'll need to call them at (415) 885-4605. Happy meat eating!

--
6. Re: roastbeef

PS - I should add that "prime rib" is a colloquial term for a thick slice of beef, which may or may not include a rib, from a roasted standing rib roast. The upper part of the hind leg and rump is referred to by polite butchers as "beef round", and along with the cuts from the shoulder (chuck) are more commonly slow cooked with moist heat like sfimporter's Pot Roast.

And I thought the french cut was when the waiter sneered down his nose at you and announced "no beef tonight, stupid Americain" before going and serving a perfectly delectable looking steak frites to the next table. A french dip on the other hand is what you mutter under your breath after being given the french cut.....

Montreal, Canada
7. Re: roastbeef

if you like you steak rare the worst place is England after 2 try I gave up

the french are better at meat that is ,"cuisiné" like bavette and their sauces make me salivating

something is wrong with house of prime rib web site

are oakroom and leather neck alternative if I cannot have reservation at house of prime rib it has to be opened on sunday

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 46
8. Re: roastbeef

I would be very surprised if Leatherneck did a decent prime rib. Epic Roasthouse along the Embarcadero did a quite good roast beef, but House of Prime Rib really is the best. If you book a week or so in advance you should be fine... just call them at the number Caffiend gave you.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
9. Re: roastbeef

House of Prime Rib is indeed open on Sundays: 4PM-10PM.

--
10. Re: roastbeef

The House of Prime Rib is quite popular on weekends, so if you have a planned date for your visit, I'd suggest calling it in rather than waiting until the "week or so in advance" suggested by another poster and being disappointed.

I have to admit that I've always avoided the Leatherneck Steakhouse purely because of the name -- although I understand the origin and reason for calling it "Leatherneck", in my mind leather and grilled or roasted meat just doesn't go together. The Leatherneck Steakhouse does get pretty good reviews as an aggregate on Yelp! yelp.com/biz/… . They rank a lot better than the Oak Room in the St. Francis hotel yelp.com/biz/… which sounds pretty much like your generic "big city hotel fine dining" experience, and which, considering they have Michael Mina on the same floor, may very well have given up the battle for excellence.

Edited: 12:43 pm, September 23, 2010