We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunol, California
reviews: 1
Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I just wanted some recommendations on some unusual places to stay in California. I live in the Bay Area, but my husband and I are willing to travel North or South. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you! :)

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 11
1. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

Here's some for you.

The Vertigo Hotel is supposed to have a piano playing ghost in the basement____what was a speakeasy in prohibition times.

The Queen Anne Hotel has a ghost by the name of Mary Lake still in Room 410.

The San Remo Hotel has a one in Room 33 ___a leftover from its colourful waterfront past not long after the great earthquake.

The hotel Union Square could have one also believed to be in room 207.

Well, you never know who you might be sharing a room with !

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
2. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

I remembered this one as well from Wes Tyler GM of the Chancellor Hotel and Destination Expert on this Forum on his Chancellor Hotel blog some time ago

Is the Chancellor Hotel haunted?

I get emails from people all the time asking me questions, inquiring about the hotel, telling me about their stay and all sorts of things. The following email is one of the most unusual I have ever received.

This will be probably a slightly odd email, to say the least, but it's a 100% serious one.

I stayed in room 1501 this past week for the ---- Convention. On Wednesday evening (4/29), probably at around 10:30 or so, I was getting ready for bed after listening to an audio book aloud on my iPhone speaker (like a tape recorder) for a few hours. After turning it off, and turning off my side lamp beside the bed, I was overcome by an extremely cold sensation -- very deep cold, much more than a drafty room would give you -- and became aware of the appearance at the left side of my bed by what I believe was a ghost, probably about 4 or 41/2 feet tall and visible mostly by its head form and shoulders (and maybe the arms.) It looked like a human shape, but I can't say I recall specific features like nose, mouth, etc.

I'll be honest -- I was pretty confused by what I was seeing, thinking it was a shadow on the wall that I was casting, but the nightlight position of the bathroom and wall switches for that was impossible. I waved my arm to make sure it wasn't me, and looked away and back several times to make sure I wasn't having some sort of strange hallucination, like a speck of dust in my eye or something like that. I was extraordinarily confused at first because it never occurred to me that I was seeing a ghost. It was only after I had mentally rejected all other assumptions of what could make this shadow on the wall that I realized that this "shadow" was standing only a couple feet away from me.

I am convinced that what I saw was real, and that it was drawn to me because I had turned off the audio book not long before. It was looking very clearly at me, and seemed to cocking it's head, as if to suggest, "where did the story (i.e. the audio book) go?" Once I realized what I was seeing, and once I broke through my frozen panic, I buried myself under the covers and eventually the cold sensation went away. Neither the sensation or the ghost reappeared for the remainder of my trip. Frankly, I didn't spend much time in my room after that, and never played the audio book again when I was there.

Let me get to my ultimate point... please call if you'd prefer not to reply by email, I understand if you'd rather not do that. But I am extremely serious that I believe I experienced something paranormal in 1501 on Wednesday night, and was pretty freaked out by it (I have honestly held no opinion about these sorts of thing beforehand and what happened hit me like a ton of bricks.) All I ask is if you have any information you could share with me, as to what the "story" is, or just to let me know this is not a singular incident, I'd really, really, really appreciate it. I know that probably no hotel property is all that interested in this sort of publicity, but I would really like to know what you know. I mentioned it to one of your employees on Friday morning, who was completely convinced that what I encountered actually happened, and made it sound like this wasn't an isolated occurrence. So all I ask is for info -- I have no issues with any service or amenity of The Chancellor, and am just trying to figure out what the hell happened. And I promise complete silence if that's what you want in response...

I'm just searching for something to help me make sense of what I saw.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 34
3. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

the Hotel Majestic - http://atlasobscura.com/place/hotel-majestic

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 12
4. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

Oskar -

So what ever became of that e-mail? Did someone respond?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 101
5. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

Someone call TAPS.

But seriously, with all of the people who died tragically during the Great Earthquake and fire, you'd think San Francisco would be one of the more haunted cities in the U.S.

There's some good stuff over at mistersf.com that deals with "Notrious San Francisco": http://www.mistersf.com/notorious/notmain.htm

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
6. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

drill-n-fill,

I think Wes Tyler probably responded but he will see this I'm sure and let us know.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
7. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

There are quite a few on the 49er Highway (state route 49) through the Gold Country.

The National Hotel in Jackson, the Georgetown Hotel in Georgetown, the Leger in Mokelumne Hill, Murphy's Hotel in Murphy, the Diamond Springs Hotel in Hang Town.... errr I mean Placerville, they changed the name... The Mine House B&B in Amador, Sierra Nevada House in Coloma, Cary House in Placerville......

You get the idea :)

Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
8. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

Gosh I stayed many times at the Mine House in Amador City when I was a kid, (my dad loved taking us kids up to the gold country), but never noticed any ghosts.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
reviews: 68
9. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

The Napa River Inn (www.napariverinn.com) was originally the Hatt Mill built in the 1880’s. The hotel and bakery (Sweetie Pie’s) there are said to be haunted by members of the Hatt Family, a woman who died young and her husband who hanged himself several yrs. later. Rm. #207 and #208 appear to be where they now reside.

The Mendocino Hotel (circa 1870’s) has a resident ghost, a woman who appears in Victorian dress. She seems to prefer the #6 and #8 tables in the hotel’s restaurant and diners have seen her reflected in the mirrors. She also visits guestrooms and wanders thru the hotel corridors. I’ve stayed at the Mendocino Hotel (www.mendocinohotel.com) fairly often but haven’t seen anything/anyone. Coincidentally, next month I’ll be staying there again and already have plans to have dinner in their dining room. Perhaps I’ll ask for table #6 or #8!

Long Beach...
reviews: 22
10. Re: Are there any real haunted hotels in Northern California?

The Hotel La Rose in Santa Rosa has ghosts according to the staff. They gladly fill you in on all the details when you check in. You can share your ghost stories in the morning over the nice breakfast spread they have. We enjoyed it a great deal.