We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
reviews: 22
Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

My 2 children(16 & 18) and I are planning our first trip (3 nts.) to SF. We are used to staying is newer, larger hotels. I have read a lot about the homeless, tenderloin district, etc. and this makes me feel rather uneasy about staying right downtown. I am seriously thinking about staying in Burlingame. There is one hotel there that has consistently high ratings. They provide free transportation to and from Bart. How hard is it really to get back and forth to SF if we decide to stay in Burlingame? Other hotels that we are considering include Hotel Drisco, Inn at Union Square and Holiday Inn Express at FW.

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Ontario, Canada
11. Re: Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

Thank you everyone. We have decided to stay at FW.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
12. Re: Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

When & Where are you staying in the Wharf?

It would be very nice if when you get home, you would find your posting and give us a little run down of how things went.

Ontario, Canada
13. Re: Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

Well...I have a dilemma. I need some help deciding which hotel to stay at. There are 3 hotels that I am seriously considering.

I know that the Holiday Inn Express includes breakfast and I know that the Tuscan Inn seems to get the highest ratings. The Hyatt (across from HI Express) which you would expect to get the highest ratings..doesn't. Someone suggested to me that it may be because the people who stay there expect more so this hotel in reality may be better than the other ones?? Can you please help.

We will be staying in January and I will definitely post a review in the forum when I return.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
14. Re: Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

I think all three hotels will serve their purpose well enough. I would happily stay at any one of them. I think there may be some validity to your point that the reviewers of the Hyatt may hold it to a higher standard and score it tougher. However, I think the Hyatt is ready for a renovation. Not that things are falling apart and its a dump. But, the furnishings and decor are near the end of their useful life for a 4 star hotel. I think of the three hotels, the Hyatt is the nicest, still. It should be noted that the Hyatt is not your typical Hyatt. It is only 3-5 stories and serves a lot of families and tourist and not business people. The Hyatt is basically the same as the Sheraton, Marriott and Hilton hotels that are nearby.

San Francisco
15. Re: Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

In my personal opinion, I think that people just aren't expecting the Hyatt to be more of the "economy type" hotel. This hotel is not a high rise as Im sure you're used to if you stay at the Hyatt. Of the ones you listed, I personally think it is probably the nicest and it is where I would stay if I had to choose one of them.

Have you considered the Argonaut?

Ontario, Canada
16. Re: Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

Yes, I am aware of the Argonaut and somewhat thinking about it too. There are so many to choose from it becomes really difficult to decide.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
17. Re: Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

Don't worry...Its not a life or death decision. All those hotels, inlcuding the Argonaut and Hyatt are within blocks of each other. They all offer basically the same thing and you really won't (shouldn't) be in your room that much anyways. They are all clean, good hotels that provide good service. The differences are not that big of a deal...one has the nautical theme, one inlcudes breakfast, one the location is a little better(?), the rates a little lower, or whatever. I am sure thousands and thousands of people stay at each of those hotels each year and love it. Maybe a few hundred stay and don't like it. I think that the odds are in your favor that you will be happy with anyone of the hotels. Worry more about how you are going to cover everything you want to in only three days.

Honolulu
reviews: 2
18. Re: Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

We loved the Holiday Inn Express at FW, the breakfast was great but the parking was $30 a night. Holiday Inn is kind of far fom the cable cars. We have also stayed at Wharf Inn at FW with free parking and no breakfast and liked that location too, especially the rate we got. Stay away from Nick's Lighthouse food vendor for food although the food is okay, one of the fellows there likes to rip off customers by telling them they gave him a certain amount of money and then doesn't give them the proper change. Example: gave him $21 for a $10.78 crab sandwich and beer and got 12 cents back. Be very careful as the registers are higher than you can see. Asked him the other $10 and he shrugged his shoulders and pulled a 10 dollar bill out of the register and waved it around at us like we gave it to him. What a bad way to end a perfect vacation.

Chicago
reviews: 36
19. Re: Burlingame, Downtown SF or FW?

I'll second the vote for the Holiday Inn Express (NOT the Holiday Inn) at Fishermans Wharf. It's a nice, newer property and not at all what you might expect when you hear the name "holiday inn express." I've stayed there with my kids several times and have always felt very safe there and enjoyed my stay.

I think that if you read the reviews carefully you'll get a good idea of why the Hyatt at FW isn't as popular. I know I'm an outlyer in terms of the Argonaut, but I don't get why people are so willing to spend so much to stay there.

Do NOT stay outside of the city. You'll waste too much time and money commuting back and forth. If you want to see the City you should stay in the City. There are homeless here just as there are in ANY major American city. Don't let the idea or the people bother you. There's much more to do and see in San Francisco than there is in Burlingame.