We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick visit to San Francisco?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 22
Quick visit to San Francisco?

Hi All,

We are thinking about doing California as our summer vacation next year. We are thinking about stopping over by plane in San Francisco for just 2 nights--worth the stop.

My husband and I have been to San Fran, but not our girls ages, 13 and 17. Thought we would eat in Chinatown, go to Muir Woods/Sausolito and Fisherman's wharf.

Know we won't see the whole city, but worth the quick visit?

Any convenient, decent, not super high priced hotels for the above??

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
1. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

Anytime spent in San Francisco is worth it and not enough.

Look in the Wharf area. All the major hotel brands are there. The Radisson, Holiday Inn Express and Best Western Tuscan Inn all get good comments from people that are in your situation.

Texas
2. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

Thanks for the reply. What restaurants do you recommend in the Wharf? Since I'll only have a couple of days, are there any must see's you would recommend?

Do you know a good restaurant in Chinatown for lunch or dinner?

Thanks,

Natalie

Los Altos...
3. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

Do some keyword searches for these questions, which were recently asked and answered.

Texas
4. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

THanks!

Texas
5. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

THanks!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 29
6. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

thanks

Texas
7. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

glyma--was that a joke--I didn't get it!

I hit continue twice, thus the two thanks.

Chicago
reviews: 35
8. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

Agree with Wes. ANY time you spend won't be enough time but is definitely worth it. The Wharf area tends to work better for families particularly given the areas you want to visit. You can easily walk or catch a Stockton bus at Columbus and NorthPoint to Chinatown and North Beach.

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Fisherman's Wharf several times now and found it to be a good value. They offer a free continental breakfast that's great for your budget and allows you to start the day without having to go out and find a decent breakfast place. The mini-suites feature a microwave and a refrigerator which we have found to invaluable when our kids just wanted to chill out at the hotel for lunch. That said, there are a number of other choices of major hotels in this area. Check out all of the reviews carefully.

If you are going to have a car for both days (you would need for Muir Woods) you might consider the motor inns in the Lombard St. area.

Texas
9. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

Thanks Stephani

Have you eaten anywhere you would recommend for dinner??

Chicago
reviews: 35
10. Re: Quick visit to San Francisco?

travelingfromTX:

What type of food do you like? Here are a few we always enjoy:

Pizza and Calzone: Tomasso's on Kearney

Breakfast--walk over to North Beach and try Mama's at 1701 Stockton (across from Washington Square). Just across from Mama's is a great foccacia bakery (Liguria) at 1700 Stockton that I'd highly recommend. You can't eat there but it's fun to pick up some foccacio and eat in the park.

Chinese--there are so many places and it depends on the type of Chinese food you like. For Hunan style, we love Hunan's Home on Jackson in Chinatown. There's also Chef Jia's on Kearney.

Search on restaurants on this forum to see dim sum, seafood or other restaurants that others have recommended. Recently Wes Tyler provided a nice list of seafood restaurants on this forum--look for Best Seafood @ the wharf.

This site will let you search by type of food:

www.sanfrancisco.com/dining/index.shtml