We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deli's and such open early...need for hiking, picnic

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus
reviews: 1
Deli's and such open early...need for hiking, picnic

Any suggestions on delis or stores open early, 8:00 a.m., to pick up good food for a hiking trip? Will be leaving the city to go to Yosemite for a few days. Sandwiches, salads, cheeses, meats are the kind of things I am looking for. Fridge in new hotel.

California
reviews: 13
1. Re: Deli's and such open early...need for hiking, picnic

depending on where you are staying, any Safeway or Cala supermarket open, ask the desk person.

San Mateo...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Deli's and such open early...need for hiking, picnic

Most delis that are open that early are located in grocery stores. The best quality grocery stores that we have in SF, in my opinion, are Andronico's and Whole Foods, but these may be too far out of the way from where you are staying.

There is a Whole Foods on Franklin St at California (One block west of Van Ness Ave), and another Whole Foods on Harrison St. in SOMA. The freshness and quality of their food really can't be beat. They have everything you're looking for. Andronico's is in the Inner Sunset neighborhood on Funston and Irving. They're a good second choice to Whole Foods, but probably way out of your way.

If you're staying in Fisherman's Wharf, I think there is a Cala there that is better than most others in the city. I haven't been there since I was a tourist over 10 years ago, so my memory is a bit foggy on this bit of info. What I do remember was that they had a good selection and things seemed quite fresh.