We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool restaurants/bars in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Cool restaurants/bars in San Francisco

We will be coming to San Francisco for the 14th to 19th September, and are really looking forward to it. Can you help us in advising on cool un-pretentious bars/restaurants to visit. Our food tastes are varied, and although we are staying in Union Square, we prefer not to go to the touristy type places but the more out of the way local places wherever possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

reviews: 8
21. Re: Cool restaurants/bars in San Francisco

here's a real neighborhood gem: the Liberty Cafe on Cortlandt in the Bernal Heights neighborhood. Cortlandt is off of Mission. it's California-style American food in a cute little renovated victorian. After Liberty's delicious chicken pot pie, head over to Mitchell's Ice Cream on San Jose. Voted best ice cream in SF for years upon years. The best flavors include tropical Filipino and Mexican flavors (mango, coconut, mexican chocolate, dulce de leche). but i also love chicago cheesecake and coffee.

an alternate place would be la taqueria on Mission at 24th, then go a couple of blocks to Mitchell's (my favorite taqueria). So many locals do this that we often see the same people at Mitchell's that we ate next to at La Taqueria!

Ton Kiang is my favorite for dim sum.

San Francisco...
reviews: 1
22. Re: Cool restaurants/bars in San Francisco

Liberty Cafe is good, but somewhat hard to find. I'm sure even some locals would have a hard time figuring out where Cortland Street is. La Taqueria has the most distinctive taste of all the taquerias I've tried in the Mission, but you'll do fine with pretty much any of them on Mission Street. Yes, Mitchell's is the best. Everyone loves that place. Remember that you'll probably have to wait since the lines are long, even on cold and late nights. Ton Kiang is the famous dim sum place in San Francisco, but some people will tell you that there are other cheaper, hole-in-the-wall places to get dim sum, but you can't go wrong with Ton Kiang.

Los Altos...
reviews: 22
23. Re: Cool restaurants/bars in San Francisco

Clearly everyone has given you enough restaurants to keep you busy.

Now, bars...Everyone has their favorites. Let me suggest just one that is in North Beach, where indeed you will find tourists, but you'll find locals there, nonetheless: Vesuvio's, next to City Lights Bookstore ( which you should really drop into anyway, since it's such an institution, unless you hate books). It has a lot of character.

UK
24. Re: Cool restaurants/bars in San Francisco

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on restaurants and places to eat - if i manage to try all of them i am sure i will leave SF several pounds heavier, but much happier for trying !! I appreciate the advice about the places where the locals frequent. As when i travel i hate to follow the tourists crowds and go to all the tacky restaurants, as i prefer to get a real flavour of the city. I am really looking forward to visiting SF in September, remembering to pack my layers, comfortable shoes and an empty stomach.