We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF Vacation 2005

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, NY
SF Vacation 2005

I'm planning to take my wife and my son to San Francisco in

the Summer of 2005. Would like to visit the Wine Country,

Yosemite Park, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Woods and I would like some advise on what tours company to use and what kind of rates, also we would like to stay at a hotel near Fisherman Warf something that is not to overly expensive.

I would appreciat some advise and thank you in advance.

San Francisco, CA
1. Re: SF Vacation 2005

As a local, my best advice is to NOT plan to stay near Fisherman's Wharf. It's very expensive! Try the hotels/motels near the Marina District. The Wharf is walking distance and it's safer! Enjoy your visit!

Derby, England
reviews: 35
2. Re: SF Vacation 2005

There are two tours I really recommend taking when staying in San Fransciso. The first is to go on the Napa Valley Wine Train. I believe you can book direct via their website and drive to the station yourself to get the train. We did not have a car, so we booked through Gray Line Tours. The bus left from Fisherman's Wharf and it drives you across the bay to where the train goes from. The train is lovely and the food (and ofcourse wine) excellent. There is a carriage where you can wine taste as well. The train journey goes through the vineyards and was a great way to spend a day. The bus then takes you back to San Francisco (our driver took us back over the Golden Gate Bridge - I think they usually do this in one of the directions). I think we were back at our hotel by 4pm. It wasn't a cheap trip - but well worth the money.

The second tour is a walking and eating tour of Chinatown with WokWiz. The guides are fascinating and mainly locals. Our morning tour finished with a lovely lunch.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 12
3. Re: SF Vacation 2005

I just stayed at the Marriott at Fisherman's' Wharf. It is an older hotel, but the rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff is very nice too. The beds are amazing. You sleep on and under down comforters. It is also a great location. You are in walking distance to the Wharf, cable cars, North Beach(which has amazing restaurants), Chinatown, Alcatraz etc. I did not use any tour companys, I rented a car from Union Square when I drove down to Monterey for the day. Have a great trip.