We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It is not San Fran

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
the big blue marble
reviews: 35
It is not San Fran

To all you visitors out there... please know that it is SF, San Francisco, or simply The City, but never, not ever San Fran.

Just letting you know because it may save you some embarassment upon your arrival.

Newbury Park...
reviews: 28
1. Re: It is not San Fran

Really, since when? I went to school with a ton of friends from SF and they always reffered to going up to San Fran. We also had our "San Fran" weekender every year with the school. Of course that was some time ago, but I was curious when it changed?

San Mateo...
reviews: 6
2. Re: It is not San Fran

There have been discussions about "what not to call SF" on this forum before. Calling the city "San Fran" is not such a big deal. The biggest "no no" is to call the city "Frisco". Most locals simply call it "The City".

The bottom line is, if anyone gives you a hard time about calling the city either of these two names they simply have too much stress going on in their lives. People need to ligthen up...it's not such a big deal.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 107
3. Re: It is not San Fran

I like to refer to it as Sodom and Gomorrah on the Bay as St Francis would never approve of his namesake taking its current reputation, but this is just blunt opinion...

Los Altos...
reviews: 22
4. Re: It is not San Fran

...And if you stand on the north slope of Potrero Hill, with the lights twinkling at night, you might be tempted to call it the Emerald City. :-)

the big blue marble
reviews: 35
5. Re: It is not San Fran

juxie, is it possible that your friends were from the 'burbs and not the city itself?

I could be wrong.. there are all sorts of different circles within The City, but I have never heard a local use the experession and I am 3rd generation.

California
reviews: 4
6. Re: It is not San Fran

hmm we live quite close to the city and often call it san fran...

San Francisco
7. Re: It is not San Fran

Simply refer to it as heaven on earth, which it is, and you will be fine -- and for all those with blunt opinions we offer Southern California.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 107
8. Re: It is not San Fran

When you smell the urine on the sidewalks and in the air, you too can ask yourself why people think of it as heaven on earth.

San Francisco
9. Re: It is not San Fran

LOL -- obviously, strong opinions are yet another trait of those of us lucky enough to live here in the bay area.

Burbank, California
reviews: 30
10. Re: It is not San Fran

You think phread is bad you should heard the Trolls on the craigslist forums. THey are the reason I discovered and now love the tripadvisor forums. I have lived in the bay area my whole life and the last 3 years in San Francisco. 'frisco' is the unliked term by most locals but San Fran is niether liked nor disliked. I refer to it as San Fran on the rare occasion when I am typing the whole name and then get lazy. But usually then it is SF. Personally, i love this city but don't care what people call it, especially if they are not from around here to know the difference.