We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Devonport, United...
reviews: 9
Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

Hi all. Is one direction better than the other? Was planning SF to LA but seems most of you guys over there go the other route. Thanks.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 2
1. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

Hi,

A few years back, we did a 3 week drive of California/ Las Vegas. An excellent holiday, seeing some amazing places. We flew into and out of SF.

The route was as follows:>

Arrive SF - Stayed for 3 nights, then made our way to Las Vegas Via Sacremento, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite. Stayed in Vegas for 4 nights, then drove to LA, which took 4-5 hours. Stayed in LA for 3 nights then made our back up to San Fran up the coast via Monterey. Then we stayed in SF for a few more nights

The driving was not too bad, as there was 4 of us, so we took it in turns.

I hope this helps.

Memphis, Tennessee
reviews: 14
2. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

We are doing this trip next week - SF to LA. The main reason we are doing this is because my teenage daughter said "best for last" (to her, LA will be the best part of the trip). One obvious difference in the two alternatives is which side of the road you will be driving. North to south, we will be on the ocean side a lot of the way and some have said that at some points this is frightening. Driving south to north, your car will be more on the land side, away from the "edge" as it were.

Here is our itinerary:

Fly into SFO, spend about two days here total (have booked Alcatraz night tour, will ride cable cars, see Chinatown, Fishermans Wharf, cross Golden Gate bridge, see as much as we can).

Day 3, we will drive to Monterey/Pacicif Grove, spend night there.

Day 4, we will drive to Big Sur along Highway 1 then to San Simeon, tour Hearst Castle, spend night in Pismo Beach.

Days 5, make our way to Santa Monica where our hotel is, then tour Los Angeles until Day 7, when we fly home from LAX.

Hope this is of some help.

Newcastle, United...
3. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

Why should it matter if you are near the edge, thought there were barrers all the way down.

Memphis, Tennessee
reviews: 14
4. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

Psychological, perhaps?

Newcastle, United...
5. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

Strange if that's the reason, don't see the problem. I'm going in August and can't wait...got no worries at all about driving near the edge.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
6. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

Hi

We prefer driving it from south to north because the sun is in the back all the time.. If you drive north to south you'll be closer to the edge which was no problem for us either. But I can't really say one is that much better than the other.

Tet

santa rosa, ca
7. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

Actually the sun can get right in your eyes when it sets if you are driving from south to north. I remember it well as we were hurrying to get to Moonstone Beach last July for the sunset and it was quite blinding (about 8 PM).

Either direction is stunning and you will enjoy it!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
8. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

How about your flights? Any better fares or times at LAX ro SFO?

I would go south to north, because LA is a congested, ugly place -- and breaking up the coast northward will be a delight.

Devonport, United...
reviews: 9
9. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

BLBL - either way we arrive and depart San Francisco. We just want to drive the coast. I'm looking at hotels in LA for 3 nights and LV for 3 or 4 nights. Its my Son who is driving and he has just done Europe so should be used to driving on the other side. Interesting one about the sun tho - never thought of that.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
10. Re: Drive SF to LA or LA to SF?

Gingerale, driving to the west at 8 pm with the sun in front of you only says, it's not cloudy-lol-

Hollyfairy, we always planning to drive the best scenic routes south to north. Not in Australia of course..

Tet