We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAT from Bar Harbor

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 3
CAT from Bar Harbor

I will be traveling with my daughter at the end of July. Taking the day trip on the CAT looks interesting but sort of expensive. My question is: What's to do enroute and back on the CAT? What will be able to see or do in the short time we are in Nova Scotia? Is it worth the time and money spent? My daughter is 15.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor

1. Taking the Cat is like taking a 747. You are in this large vessel that goes (relatively) fast and offers little to see. They serve food and drink, and you can gamble.

2. Nothing worthwhile. Yarmouth is a gateway city and that's about it. The interesting areas of Nova Scotia (and there are many) are from a couple of hours to a half-day or full day's drive away.

3. No.

If you want to get out on the water and see some of the coastal area, there are numerous day cruises that operate out of Bar Harbor and other villages here on Mount Desert Island. Several are operated by the National Park Service; others by private entepreneurs. You could take several of those for what the round trip on the Cat will cost. A good place to start looking is:

http://www.acadiamagic.com

Maine
2. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor

Hi Iv2cook,

I don't think it's worth it. As the other poster noted, it goes pretty fast, there's not a whole lot to see, and once at your destination, there's nothing much to see or do. I took the CAT to NS a few years ago, but spent a week there and everything worth seeing is at least a few hours drive from where the boat lets you off. Plus the trip can be quite rough, so if you're prone to sea sickness, I'd think twice about it.

As suggested, look into other boat tours offered. Bar Harbor and the surrounding area is beautiful, so there's tons to do and see. No need to spend hours on a boat to NS unless you love to gamble.

Good luck with your plans and let us know what you decide to do :).

cozyharbor

Houston, Texas
3. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor

Thanks so much to both of you. We are staying the first 4 nights at Eggemoggin Lodge so we will have the daily adventure they offer. So my thought is for the last part of the trip to stay (we have a reservation) in Bar Harbor at Quimby and just do some day and evening things.... Acadia for a day, poking around shops etc for a day. Other idea's welcome. Thanks.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
4. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor

If you're staying at Eggemoggin, then you'll have time to explore Deer Isle and Stonington---both great places. Stonington, incidentally, has a kayak rental place and the Stonington area should be great for exploring the shorelines and islands.

Maine
5. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor

Dear tv2cook,

You'll like the Deer Isle area. I go there at least a couple times a year and absolutely love it. It's quiet, beautiful, and perfect for a true getaway. Make sure when you're down in Stonington to stroll the streets. There's something enchanting about the place and the best way to take it in, is through walking.

Also check out beautiful Ames Pond. There are hundreds of pink lilies with a backdrop of dark evergreens. But make sure you get there before 2pm as the lilies close up sometime afterward! It's a mile walk from Stonington village or 2 miles roundtrip. The views on the way to the pond are beautiful too with glimpses of the ocean and pretty scenery. Ask anyone how to get there.

Another ride/walk from Stonington village is to Billings Marine in the opposite direction of the lily pond. The Marina itself is pretty basic but the walk there is fun with lots of nice scenery, views to the harbor along the way. There's also a fun causeway over water to walk or drive, that leads to it.

Not far from there is Sand Beach Road with views out to Mark Island Light in the distance. The road is windy with lots of glimpses of the water.

Also from Stonington, you can take the mailboat out to Isle Au Haute. You can either take it round trip and just enjoy the ride, or get off and hike or bike around the island and catch the next one back. There are many different trail levels of difficulty and I'm sure you'd be able to find one just right for you.

Last, at the end of Eggemoggan Road, not far from your Inn, is a view to Pumpkin Island Light with a little beach. This is a lovely and peaceful spot. Eaton's Lobster Shack is nearby and is great for watching sunsets while you dine.

Enjoy your trip and don't forget to report back how it went :).

cozyharbor

Houston, Texas
6. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor

Okay we are really excited now. We bought the adventure package at Eggemoggin so we have a daily activity. Most thrilling for me personally is the fact that the high temp in Maine today is lower than our low. Current temp in my backyard is over 100 with a feels like of 115. The CAT idea is completely gone....now just planning on enjoying nature and being outside.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
7. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor

It may be a little premature, but---Welcome to Maine.

8. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 15, 2009