We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lubbock
reviews: 6
Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

Hello Fellow Trip Advisors, I'm hoping that some of you might be able to provide some much needed advise and information. My partner of over 30 years and I are planning on getting married in Bar Harbor in October, in a small, private, civil ceremony. We are coming in via a cruise on Holland America's Ms. Veendam in October 2013, and would appreciate any suggestions on making this day memorable.

I've researches the list of Officials in Bar Harbor Maine, and have contacted the Town Clerk's Office about getting our license and am trying to plan a small, quiet, short ceremony for the one day we will be in Bar Harbor. Our time will be very limited (7 hours at the most) and would like to have as simple a ceremony as possible, within easy walking distance (okay, we're older with creaky knees and hips, but not on walkers yet!!) from the Town Pier where the cruise tenders come in.

I had thought about doing something in one of the town's parks (i.e., Agamont Park, Village Green or Grant Park) if this would be feasible. Or I'm open to suggestions for a cozy indoor venue. There will only be myself, my partner, two witnesses and the wedding official in the wedding party, and I'd like it to be classy, simple and intimate on a very limited budget. I know that's a challenge, but I'm hoping some of you have good suggestions.

1. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, September 03, 2013
Maine
reviews: 20
2. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

I can't help you with wedding plans in Bar Harbor as I am not local, but I just wanted to say Congratulations and thanks for choosing Maine for your happy event! I hope it works out perfectly and that you have a wonderful day.

I see you are from Lubbock (Texas). I have a friend from Texas (Dallas area) who married his partner on Saturday in Seattle. They are over the moon with happiness. After 25 years together they never thought they'd be married but now they are.

Congratulations to you and your wife-to-be.

L

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
reviews: 8
3. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

I would suggest that you contact Jen McWain of Jennifer McWain Weddings. Her number is 207-266-2210. She is a J.P. and a photographer. She has performed several weddings at our inn and she does a fantastic job. I know that she just performed her first same sex marriage ceremony and was very supportive. She has a Facebook page.

Lubbock
4. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

Thank you, "Loving Bar Harbor," for the information on Jen McWain; I appreciate you taking time to read and reply. I believe I've talked to her by email already, and she was wonderfully supportive and helpful. Hopefully she can get off work in order to officiate our ceremony.

I do hope this gets to you, as someone on "TripAdvisor Staff" has determined my post to be inappropriate and removed it. That saddens me, because I felt I was following the community guidelines (which I read very carefully before posting). As the French say "C'est la vie!" But "Thank You" once again--I appreciate your help.

SophiesCupofTea

Lubbock
5. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

Dear Leslie,

Thank you for your kind salutations! We're very excited about being able to get married in Maine too! I wish Texas was more liberal minded, but . . . what can you say? Hopefully with the Supreme Court's over ruling of DOMA's discrimination about same sex couples getting married, maybe Texas will eventually see the light. I'm not holding my breath on it though!

I do hope this gets to you, as someone on "TripAdvisor Staff" has determined my post to be inappropriate and removed it. That saddens me, because I felt I was following the community guidelines (which I read very carefully before posting). As the French say "C'est la vie!" But "Thank You" once again--I appreciate your help.

SophiesCupofTea

Bremen, Maine
reviews: 26
6. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

I also don't have any advice for you, but just want to say that I'm thrilled that you have chosen Maine to come, visit and be married in. Congratulations to you and your fiancee!!!! Wishing you both a lifetime of love and happiness!

Boston...
reviews: 3
7. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

Hi Sophies! Your post was not determined as inappropriate - rest assured of that. There was an initial response to you in which someone was promoting his/her business which is against the rules of T/A...not reflective of your inquiry at all.

You've picked a fabulous location for your wedding. We just returned from a week there - such a beautiful area with warm and friendly people. Congratulations and all the best to you!!!

Lubbock
8. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

Dear SouthieGirl,

Thank you SO much for clearing that up for me! I was afraid I had offended someone, especially when I didn't mean too. I realize and respect that same sex weddings are not the normal topic on TripAdvisor, but I was hoping some open minded fellow travelers would have some suggestions on where in Bar Harbor to have our wedding.

We have waited 30 years to get legally married and planning a long distance ceremony can be nerve wracking in it's self, especially when one isn't familiar with the town, and I have no family or friends in Maine (well maybe not before now :-)) to scope out the perfect location--so that's why I'm asking for suggestions. I've though about having it outdoors, since Maine is brimming with natural beauty, but I also thought it would be a good idea to have a plan "B" for an indoors venue, in case the weather should change for the worst. Being from West Texas, one has to be prepared, because we have a saying here about our weather . . . "If you don't like the weather, stick around, it'll change!" And it usually does!

So, thank you, for letting me post this and hopefully get some great suggestions for a simple, yet beautiful venue, that is easy to get to from the dock, and that isn't too crowded to have a small wedding ceremony in.

Best Regards,

SophiesCupofTea

Lubbock
9. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

Thank you, Sailorgirl2001, for your warm, kind, and encouraging words! We're thrilled at having the opportunity to get married in Maine! We actually have visited Maine on two different vacations, that were really too short to fully get to see everything, but we definitely felll in love with your beautiful state.

So, when we realized that our cruise ship would be docking in Bar Harbor, we decided Maine was the place we wanted to get married in. It was a serendipitous arrangement of events!

Best Wishes,

SophiesCupofTea

Portland, Maine
reviews: 4
10. Re: Long Term Committed Lesbian Couple Seek Advise for venue

OK this is a little bit of an out there suggestion, but the top of Cadillac Mountain has gorgeous views of the surrounding area and is one of the first spots on the eastern seaboard to hearken in the new day (I am avoiding the debate of what place holds that distinction). Might be a fitting spot to hearken in this new chapter of your life together. There is an auto road and perhaps others might suggest transport to get there.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Hope it is a perfect day. Thanks for letting Maine be part of it!