We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days of hiking/stay recap

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 7
7 days of hiking/stay recap

Hiking:

Day1: Hike Jordan Cliff to Penobscot Mt. to Jordan Pond Path. Difficulty 7/10 Steady Hike followed by stroll around pond. Time 4hrs. Views: Great changing vistas right over Jordan and Bubble ponds to the summit, then a lovely stroll around Jordan pond. Our favorite hike.

Day2: Hike Beehive to Gorham to Otter Cliff via Ocean path. Difficulty 7/10 Steep Cliff edge climb followed by Steady Hike/Scramble then Walk along the shoreline. Time 4hrs. Views: MDI and Atlantic as far as eyes can see, then rocky shores of Atlantic at the bottom to Otter Cliffs. Exciting, expansive, awesome.

Day3: Rock climbing at Otter Cliffs. First time! Fun, scary and safe all at once. Amazing experience. Time: half day 9am-12pm. Price: $120pp incl tip.

Lulu Lobster boat. You get to see seals, flock of seagulls and few bald eagles on two groups of small rock formations off shore. Felt like I was seeing a tiny Galapagos! Lulu is a great speaker and I was entertained the whole way. Time:2hrs. Price:$35pp incl tip.

Day4: Hike Precipice Trail to Champlain Mt. to Sieur des Monts via Beachcroft. Difficulty: 8/10 Very Strenuous rock scrambling first half of Precipice followed by not so difficult (but need to focus) rung climbing to Champlain. Descent down steep boulders (good shoes). Time: 3hrs Views: Top of the world!

Day5: Raining now but hope to do Cadillac Mtn. Later around noon!

Food: Got our water everyday at Rite Aid, best tasting sandwiches were from Subway (true). Hannaford is THE supermarket in town, has everything at normal prices. Bar Harbor is a vaca town so 90% of all restos are inflated in price. We're from NYC and $25-$30 avg entrees are expensive, but like I said its a seasonal vaca town. After trying a few restaurants, we found Lampocs to be the best tasting, casual friendly place that felt local. Entrees there were normal around $10-$20. Loved it, ate there 5x.

Transportation: From Bangor Airport- I think needs more options. High season there's little parking in Bar Harbor and in Acadia so we opted for the B-B shuttle. At $90incl tip for 2people for one hour ride is bit steep. Taxis are $110. That's it, no other options unless to rent a car and chance not finding parking all the time. I think there a bus or some other public transportation option would be great. Or make more parking spaces in the park. This would be my only hesitation to visit again next time. Transportation within the town is excellent. You either walk (small village center) or use the free shuttle to go into Acadia. I did all my hikes with the shuttle and it was very convenient and on time every time!

Loved Acadia and Bar Harbor!!! Had the best time, it's such an amazingly beautiful place with genuinely nice nice people.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: 7 days of hiking/stay recap

Thank you for an excellent review. I'm glad that you enjoyed everything---hope ;you got to do Cadillac. I completely agree that the Bangor--MDI public transportation system is wanting. I doubt that the park will significantly increase parking there: the whole idea of the shuttle---and the just-developing mainland shuttle center in Trenton---is to reduce the vehicular traffic pressure on the park. If the park at Trenton, shuttle to the park/Bar Harbor proves successful, it may encourage others in the private sector to think about better public transportation. One can only hope...

League City, Texas
reviews: 13
2. Re: 7 days of hiking/stay recap

Thanks for posting your recap. We leave in 11 days for a week and plan on hiking nearly every day.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 10
3. Re: 7 days of hiking/stay recap

Thanks for posting. It's nice to hear back on how people's trips went. I am not a huge Subway fan, so am disheartened by your comment that they had the best sandwiches. Did you try a lot of other places?

4. Re: 7 days of hiking/stay recap

Yes we tried maybe 3 others on cottage and main streets. Was not a big fan. Honestly, we thought food in general was not too much to our liking because there were just too many ingredients. Hate subways too but at least it was simple(what I like to eat on hikes) and quick (had to catch the shuttle!). But that may be a personal thing of a picky newyorker.

5. Re: 7 days of hiking/stay recap

You'll love it, it's a hikers paradise. You can never get lost as trails are very well marked. But always have a MapAdventure map, and a shuttle schedule which you pick up at the village green shuttle station. We did do the Cadillac Mt on our last day- via ascent North ridge then down South ridge and it was A-mazing. Ascent is a steady sweat inducing climb along boulder steps and woody terrain, not too exciting until you near the top and vistas open up. Views at the top will give you 360 on the whole area. So expansive you can almost see the curvature of the earth kinda. But the Best Best views of the week were on the descent via south ridge. Wow. You're on this long mars like boulder highway on an incredible angle that just opens up the ocean to the sky it was truly hair raising for us. We skipped the traffic at the summit and chose to have our sandwiches there it was glorious. Entrance to south ridge trail at the summits a bit tricky to find- its marked opposite exit of north, then there's an ambiguous path that opens up but you have to go straight onward to find a little path in the bush that descends. There's not a marking again there but that's it.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
6. Re: 7 days of hiking/stay recap

Nice description of the Cadillac hike. That entrance to the south ridge trail, by the way, is the true summit of Cadillac, rather than where the little round path and all the tourists are. There is a survey marker in the granite that is hard to find. Also at that start of the south ridge trail is where a hotel was once at the top of Cadillac. It's amazing to think that they got an old wooden hotel to stay up there on the granite and not blow over, given the frequent high winds up there. The first hotel burned down. They built another. But that was taken down not too long after. You can still see some anchor pins from that hotel if you look carefully. There was also once a railway up to the top of Cadillac, starting on the eastern shore of Eagle Lake. I've hiked the old rail bed, which is hard to find and which the Park does NOT want you to do because it is essentially bushwhacking up the western slope of Cadillac. I have an old railway spike here on my desk, another thing the Park does NOT want you to do -- take an artifact from a national park.

7. Re: 7 days of hiking/stay recap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 07, 2014