We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor back to Boston

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lake charles...
reviews: 57
Bar Harbor back to Boston

Drove to Bar Harbor with overnights in Portland and Camden an 3 nts in Bar Harbor. Driving back on Thursday for a checkin at airport property in Boston with an early morning departure Friday back home. We have all day to get to Boston and so i wonder what would be the best wAy to return so that we some sights that we have not already seen.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
1. Re: Bar Harbor back to Boston

It would be a bit of a drive but you could see a lot of pretty territory if you took 3 to Ellsworth, 1A to Bangor and then Route 2 straight across the state of Maine and into New Hampshire.

Once in New Hampshire you will be in the mountains. You can leave route 2 and take 115 down to 302 and on to Interstate 93. I-93 runs through Franconia Notch, which is gorgeous. Just take I-93 all the way to Boston.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 129
2. Re: Bar Harbor back to Boston

Lots of great scenery on Bonniemaev's route above and well worth the time if you don't mind a long-ish day... probably around seven hours of driving time not counting stops. Includes some of our favorite northern New England scenery and would strongly recommend it if you have the time.

If you want a slightly shorter trip, and like animals, I'd consider something like Rt 3 to Ellsworth, US Rt 1A north to Brewer, I-395 west to I-95, and I-95 south to Gray, ME. Get off I-95 in Gray and take ME Rt 26 north for a couple of miles to the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray... Operated by the Maine Department of Inland Fish and WIldlife, it features almost every animal native to Maine in re-creations of their natural habitat. Stroll the hard-surfaced paths beneath the pines and see deer, moose, bear, bobcat, etc. etc.... You can Google the Park for hours, photos and more information. Drive from Bar Harbor to Boston via this route is about five hours, not counting whatever time you spend at the Park or other stops along the way.

Or, if wildlife isn't your thing, use the same route and continue south on I-95 to the southern Maine coastal towns of Kennebunkport, Ogunquit or York Beach for a look at the southern Maine coastline (unless you already saw those places on your way north).

A third option is to continue even further south on I-95 and spend some time visiting the small coastal city of Portsmouth, New Hampshire....

lake charles...
reviews: 57
3. Re: Bar Harbor back to Boston

Thanks ya'll will look at a map and check out your

recommendations

4. Re: Bar Harbor back to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 11, 2014