We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great lobster in Bar Harbor

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine
Great lobster in Bar Harbor

I will be travelling from California to Boston, taking a road trip up to Bar Harbor, Maine on 10/7/13. I am planning my trip with my husband early and would like to know the best restaurant to eat Maine lobster in Bar Harbor. Any suggestions about good lobster restaurants would be appreciated.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
reviews: 8
1. Re: Great lobster in Bar Harbor

October 7th will probably be the last weekend for some of the lobster pounds. The place where I think you can get a great big lobster and enjoy an awesome view is Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard (on the island about 25 minutes from Acadia near Bass Harbor lighthouse).

In the village of Bar Harbor, I would choose Galyn's or Poor Boy's Gourmet for my lobster dinner.

Although, of course, every restaurant in Bar Harbor serves lobster in one form or another.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 7
2. Re: Great lobster in Bar Harbor

I don't think there is any "best" restaurant to eat lobster in Bar Harbor. In fact, the better restaurants in the area don't even serve anything as mundane as a whole lobster. They do more creative things with lobster. Lobster is lobster is lobster. It's all fresh and all tasty. Your choice is really only what kind of setting that you want to eat your lobster: outside on a picnic bench, inside with a white tablecloth, or something in between.

Possibly the most scenic place to eat lobster in town is Stewman's: http://www.stewmanslobsterpound.com/

Thurston's is definitely good, but it is a bit of a drive: http://thurstonslobster.com/

Bass Harbor, Maine
3. Re: Great lobster in Bar Harbor

Yes. Lobster is everywhere and it *will* be all about the ambience. Lobster pounds tend to be more 'rustic' and outdoorsy than restaurants. Thurston's is great and the view of Bass Harbor is terrific - you will probably drive around the Island anyway. Lobster pounds will be closing after Columbus Day which is October 14, late in the season, so your timing is perfect. Have a nice trip.

Cessnock, Australia
4. Re: Great lobster in Bar Harbor

Also from Australia and desperate to try New England lobster. we are travelling from VT and not arriving in Bar Harbour until approx Oct 14. Will we be too late and miss out? We are travelling on to New Brunswick and PEI.

please tell me we will find lobster somewhere along the way!!!

Bar Harbor, Maine
5. Re: Great lobster in Bar Harbor

Only the restaurants that serve lobster outdoors, on picnic tables, will close in early October. It's just too cold outside in the evenings to eat lobster at a lobster pound. But all the other restaurants in Maine will still have whole lobster on their menus. Not too worry. Not sure about New Brunswick and PEI.

Cessnock, Australia
6. Re: Great lobster in Bar Harbor

Thanks heaps. I can relax and look forward to it now.

Hammond
7. Re: Great lobster in Bar Harbor

I second loving barharbor, Trenton Bridge, Thurstons, and I would add Beal's out by the coast guard station, maybe Southwest Harbor?? Those are the one's that we must visit when in Bar Harbor. Be sure to pick up one of the maps they have all over town, it will have all of the one's we've mentioned.

The lobster in my profile picture was in fact taken at Trenton Bridge!

Edited: 2:29 pm, April 03, 2013
Cessnock, Australia
8. Re: Great lobster in Bar Harbor

Thank you for that. I can hardly wait.

9. Re: Great lobster in Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 05, 2014