We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Boston

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, Maryland
reviews: 1
driving from Boston

We will be driving from Boston to Bar Harbor in June and were curious if there is a scenic route that is not substantially longer than just taking a more direct route. About how long is the trip?

Thanks.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 7
1. Re: driving from Boston

The most direct route is about five hours. You can get off the interstate at Freeport and take highway one all the way to Ellsworth. Or you can get off the interstate just north of Augusta and take highway 3 to one and to Ellsworth. Neither would add more than an hour in June. In July and August that first route would add a bit more time because getting through Camden tends to be quite a bottleneck.

Maine
reviews: 6
2. Re: driving from Boston

The quickest route is to take I-95 to Bangor and then RT1A to Ellsworth then on to Bar Harbor. Getting off I-95 in Augusta and taking RT3 to Belfast to RT1 then to Ellsworth will be only a 1/2hr longer at most. Getting of I-95 in Freeport or a little father up in Brunswick and taking RT1 all the way to Ellsworth could add up to 1 1/2 of travel. I personally prefer to travel non interstate routes but it all depends on how big of a hurry you are in. The RT1 Coastal route will take you through a lot of nice coastal towns like Camden, Rockport, Rockland etc.

3. Re: driving from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 13, 2009