We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading up next week...what can i expect?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stratford...
reviews: 10
Heading up next week...what can i expect?

Coming into town next week to hit the Acadia hiking trails.

How have the temps been?

How will the dining choices be??

Hoping many things are still going to be open.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
reviews: 8
1. Re: Heading up next week...what can i expect?

The temperatures have been fluctuating from the 60's to 40's. We've only had one night so far that's been colder than that. The leaves are still very colorful in the park unless we get a huge storm before you get here there should still be color. Lots of restaurants are closing this weekend but there will still be plenty open next week. Some are Galyn's, Havana, Guiness and Porcelli's, Blaze, Thirsty Whale, Side Street Cafe, Geddy's, and more. Most of the shops will still be open through at least the end of October or the first couple weeks of November. The water activities will probably be shutting down - the Bar Harbor Whale Watch will still have boat trips going out until the last cruise ship comes so they might have some openings for a lighthouse tour or nature cruise.

Stratford...
2. Re: Heading up next week...what can i expect?

Cool!

Thank-you for the reply.....much appreciated.

Wifey was worried that we'd arrive in town and the sidewalks would be rolled up...trying to calm those fears.

Looking forward to a more sedate Bar Harbor/ Acadia and some great hotel rates!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
reviews: 6
3. Re: Heading up next week...what can i expect?

We don't roll up the sidewalks. They are loaded onto flatbeds and stored on the mainland---at the same time that the islands are towed over to the Lamoine shore.

Stratford...
4. Re: Heading up next week...what can i expect?

Love it!!! Now I wont need a ferry to get on the islands!

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
5. Re: Heading up next week...what can i expect?

The weather forecast looks really, really good for all of this coming week. You should have sunny days in the mid-50s to walk and hike in the Park. There is still lots of color.

Regarding cwvoigt's comment: there is a Facebook page called "Overheard in Bar Harbor" where we locals post all the silly things we hear the tourists ask and claim. One tourist truly did ask what we do with the out islands in the winter, as if they were just tethered there for summer display. They also ask if we've had a drought recently, when they happen to come to town during low tide. And we've been asked, with a straight face, how many years it takes for a deer to grow into a moose. After years of those kinds of questions we begin to make up answers. Answer to the last question, delivered with an equally straight face: "four years".

Mainers have even gained a reputation for making up stories. I was once asked where the post office was and helpfully pointed down Cottage Street. The person asking was very grateful for the information and told me, that on her cruise ship, they were warned that Mainers tell lies. What? About where the post office is???

Stratford...
6. Re: Heading up next week...what can i expect?

Thanks for all the replies...will be up there tomorrow..

As far as the silly comments..... I get it!

Grew up in a small town...my kinda humor.

take care

Stratford...
7. Re: Heading up next week...what can i expect?

Thanks folks for all the advice...

The weather was lovely last week for peak bagging!

We did cadillac, dorr, pemetic, beehive, gorham and penobscot/ jordan cliffs.

Got some great deals in town, more than enough good places to eat still open, had foliage...highly reccomend as a time to visit.

See you all next time

8. Re: Heading up next week...what can i expect?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 31, 2013