We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sussex UK
reviews: 8
Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

Travelling from England next July to spend few days in Boston, then on to holiday rental near Bar Harbor. Looking at Cape Air schedules - it seems that in July there is only one flight a day each way. Why ? At peak holiday time - I can't understand it. We would have to get a 6 a.m. return flight on the Saturday, which doesn't arrive in time for an onward transatlantic return in the morning, so we would have a whole day's wait at Logan airport until the evening flight back to London. Anyone have any alternative suggestions or experience of these summer Bar Harbor flights - I would be glad to hear from them.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
1. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

An alternative is to fly into Bangor.

Bar Harbor, Maine
2. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

The Bar Harbor airport is a very small place, meant mostly for private planes. Most everyone travels to Bangor when visiting Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. It's about an hour and 15 minutes to drive from Bangor to Bar Harbor.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 113
3. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

As bonniemaev suggests, it's a matter of supply-demand and ability-to-make-a-profit. Just not enough demand for direct flights from Boston (or anywhere else) to justify operating more than one flight per day -- and at that, the airline receives a federal US government subsidy to provide that service. Bangor is the closest larger commercial airport; or Portland is also an alternative. Both require a bit of driving to get to Bar Harbor.

sussex UK
4. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

Thanks to responders. The information is very useful. I am surprised mostly because it seems that, outside peak summer season, there are 3 flights daily, to & from Boston! I wonder if it reduces to one in peak season because there is not enough capacity at Bar Harbor airport to land, if there are a lot of private planes coming in.

I am now going to look at the possibility of hiring a car from Boston, which might be less expensive and easier than flights and further transport on from Bangor or Portland. Or maybe even a private taxi to drive us there and back a week later. Anyone know of a car & driver who would like the job?

Bar Harbor, Maine
5. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

At Your Service Taxi is usually up for almost anything. But I think the ten hour round trip from Bar Harbor to Boston would be very expensive. They do mention that they will go to Logan Airport, which is Boston.

http://atyourservicetaxi.com/

Edited: 9:37 am, October 17, 2012
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
6. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

Sbax -- just a guess regarding the difference in summer (one flight per day) versus off-season flight schedules for Cape Air... That airline also provides regional service to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, two heavily-visited tourist-oriented islands during the summer. If they have a limited fleet of planes, which I suspect they do, they may make the business decision that there is more demand (thus more profitability) to offering more flights to those two islands during the summer than in maintaining their Maine schedule.... just a guess, but definitely more demand for flights to Nantucket and the Vineyard most summers than to Bar Harbor....

Or, maybe just e-mail Cape Air and see what they say...

sussex UK
7. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

Thanks to all - and think suggestion re Cape Air peak schedules is most likely answer! Have emailed At Your Service Taxi and asked for quote BUT, after looking at all the options, I think it is becoming clear that the Cape Air option is going to be a. least expensive b. least hassle and we will just have the very early departure from Bar Harbor & long wait at Logan airport - not too stressful, I guess - certainly compared with the other options. Anyway, shall feel better when it's all booked and can start looking forward to next summer!

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

We used Cape Air to fly from Boston to Augusta last summer. Just so you are aware.....it is a very small aircraft. Seats something like 6 besides the pilot and copilot. A little alarming when I first saw the airplane, but it was a reasonably smooth flight. I didn't read all the previous post completely, so know if you've thought of renting a car for the trip. It's a beautiful drive.

Happy Traveling

sussex UK
9. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

Thanks for the information. I had guessed the planes were small, but was expecting more like 20 seats! Feeling too nervous to try hire car and driving, as senior citizens, and know the roads around & in Boston are quite a challenge, especially immediately on collecting the car, and, for us, driving on the other side of the road and dealing with the unfamiliar road signs etc. So, I think we will summon up the courage to get on a very small plane!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
10. Re: Flights Boston/Bar Harbor

A possible compromise might be taking a motor coach bus from Boston to Bangor, then renting your car there. Concord Trailways coaches are comfortable and professionally operated. Driving from Bangor to Bar Harbor will be far less hectic and far more "wrong side of the road" friendly than driving from Boston. On the way back, return the car in Bangor and bus back to Boston (even directly to Logan Airport if you like). Just another option to consider.... You can Google "Concord Trailways" and click on their "Maine" link for schedule details and fare information.