We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 32
Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

Hi everyone,

We are traveling from the West Dover, VT area to Bar Harbor. I just did mapquest and realized it is a 7 hour drive. We would like to stop at a scenic town off of I-95 that is somewhere in the middle between the two. We want a scenic area. Any recommendations? have two nights in Bar Harbor.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 129
1. Re: Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

Everyone's definition of "scenic" is different -- but if your definition includes "coastal" and along I-95, it's going to have to be south of Portland ME because I-95 runs well inland of the coast north of that. I'd suggest you take a look at Ogunquit or Kennebunkport as southern Maine possibilities - neither is directly on I-95, but are nice coastal communities. When you are coming could have an impact on lodging availability in either or both communities.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
2. Re: Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, just south of Portland.

http://www.innbythesea.com/

Or Stage Neck Inn in York Harbor, just over the Maine border.

http://www.stageneck.com/

Philadelphia...
3. Re: Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

Thank you for the suggestions. I truly appreciate them. Since we are doing Newport, RI on the way home, that is going coastal, my hubbie has decided to go to Bar Harbor, from West Dover, Vermont, by way of the White Mountains. We will be staying somewhere midpoint in New Hampshire. This way we can explore that neck of the woods

Thanks again.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
4. Re: Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

That's a good plan. The White Mountains are gorgeous. Jackson, New Hampshire is an especially nice to stay.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
5. Re: Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

Would agree with Bonniemaev that Jackson is a great little spot.... prime example of a small (very small) New England village, complete with covered bridge !! But still handy to much of the great scenery in that area....

Philadelphia...
6. Re: Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

Thank you. I found a motel acceptable for an overnight in Gorham. It's costly to stay at the Bar Harbor Inn, so we are slumming it somewhat on this leg of our adventure.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
7. Re: Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

Gorham is a nice little town -- and as you start your drive to Bar Harbor the next morning, you'll be passing through one of our favorite areas for scenery -- the Shelburne Birches.... a roadside memorial park built to honor local war dead.... Just one long grove of beautiful white birch trees on both sides of the road.... Nice !!

Philadelphia...
8. Re: Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

Maineronthego, Thank you for that tip. My hubbie is a Vietnam Vet, so that is right up his alley. I am very excited about this trip. It is long overdue.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Is there any other "must sees" in the White Mountain area on our way to Bar Harbor?

9. Re: Need Help With A Hotel or Area From West Dover, VT to Bar Ha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 08, 2013