We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business trip location needed

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mentor, OH
Business trip location needed

Hi - I am organizing my organizations fall meeting and need to choose a location in the New England area. Can anyone suggest a location in the New England area that is easy to get to in less than about a 30 minute drive from the airport that is quaint and interesting to visit.

Bar Harbor was suggested, but I do not know how easy it is to get to.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

NBol

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
reviews: 6
1. Re: Business trip location needed

Bar Harbor has a convention/meeting center as well as at least one motel that has meeting facilities. We tend to avoid the word "quaint" but it is an interesting area, with Acadia National Park here on the island.

However, the nearest commercial airport is Bangor, which is about 45 miles---and about 70 minutes driving time---away.

scituate, ma
reviews: 1
2. Re: Business trip location needed

Are you looking for a spot where you will not need to worry about transportation once you are there? What type of interests? Shopping? Fishing? Hiking? Whale Watch? How large a group? What time of year are you visiting?

The trouble is finding "quaint" within a half hour of any airport in New England.

Logan Int'l Airport, Boston:

After driving for a half hour you will still be in Boston.

TF Green/Providence, RI:

The airport is actually in Warwick. You could be at the RI beaches in the Narragansett area within about 30-40 minutes. Newport would take a little longer but does have a lot to offer.

Manchester Airport, Manchester, NH:

If you could stretch that 30 minute rule, there are some great towns to consider. North Conway, NH has outlet shopping, a very pretty village center with a green and a genuinely quaint Train Station - from which you can take scenic tours. The area also has superb hiking in the White Mountains, skiing, mountain biking.

Portland Airport, Portland, ME:

Freeport, ME is not too far. There is again the outlet shopping, L.L. Bean's flagship store. Plus the natural beauty the area has to offer once you stray off Route 1. Wolfe Neck State Park is a beautiful spot.

Maine
reviews: 4
3. Re: Business trip location needed

There is an airport in in Trenton, Maine 20 minutes from Bar Harbor. US Air Express flys in there. There local phone number is 667-7171. They have around 4 flights per day in and out of Boston, where you can continue on USAIR. Call US AIR reservations. The passenger planes are 19 seat, prop planes, but very comfortable and you can stand up in them now. They have taxi's or the free Island Explorer Bus that leaves from the airport to various parts of the Island.

Mentor, OH
4. Re: Business trip location needed

Thanks for the great info. I think that will help since Bar Harbor is the place some of my coworkers would really like to go.

Mentor, OH
5. Re: Business trip location needed

Northbound - thank you for the great information.

Melrose, MA
reviews: 47
6. Re: Business trip location needed

my husband had the same assignment last year and we stayed in Newport, R.I. it was fabulous - great restaurants, shops, beach, it had it all..

Bradley, Maine
reviews: 11
7. Re: Business trip location needed

Post again if you need further suggestion or guidlines. This forum gets busier as the weather warms.

Mentor, OH
8. Re: Business trip location needed

Thank you for all who have responded. This has been very helpful. Unfortunately, it looks like we will be changing our meeting location to the cities in which our organization's divisions are located.

Thank you,

Nbol