We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rv camping

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 1
rv camping

We plan on renting an RV in Boston where we will fly into and driving up to and around Bar Harbor for the fall foliage second week in October. Can anyone recommend good RV spots to hook up? Close to restaurants and attractions and shopping? This is our first time to Maine and have gotten a late start on researching. I appreciate your help.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: rv camping

Caveat: I've never done rv camping, so what follows is far from expert opinion.

What dates in October?. The reason I ask is that one of the largest and probably best-equipped campgrounds (see barharborcamping.com) states that they close after the Columbus Day weekend. Others that might fit your needs are Hadley Point Campground 288-4808 and Mt. Desert Narrows 288-4782 (all of Maine is AC 207). The Bar Harbor KOA campground 288-5185 received a unfavorable review here from some tent-campers (see the hstatler forum thread); I don't recall seeing a review of it re: rv camping.

None of the ones I noted are really close to the village of Bar Harbor---all are 6 to 10 miles away. RV parking is limited to areas posted for them; it's a 2 to 4-block walk from those areas to the center of the village, where most of the restaurants and shops are located.

Acadia National Park is reasonably rv-friendly for driving and parking---they do, however, take their parking rules seriously.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 7
2. Re: rv camping

I don't know where you are from or where you are used to driving an RV, but, personally, I would recommend rethinking your plan. New England is not Colorado. The streets here are very narrow. Bringing an RV into the village of Bar Harbor is a nightmare. Perhaps a very small RV would be doable.

Bradley, Maine
reviews: 11
3. Re: rv camping

Bar Harbor Campground is close and convienent for RV's but not sure about the dates in which it will close. I'm not sure when the Explorer is done running either.

Another option rather than trying to manuever an RV along MDI roads maybe to take it up to Moosehead area. New England Outdoor Center has nice facilities but there are a couple other campgrounds like Moosehead Family Campground.

Not trying to disuade you from acadia as it's my favorite destination!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
reviews: 9
4. Re: rv camping

RE: Baxter ME.

The Island Explorer will continue operations to 10 October, i.e., through the Columbus Day weekend. The schedule is somwhat reduced relative to the pre-Labor Day period but all routes are running except for the Brown Mountain route.