We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Bar Harbor

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
RI
reviews: 10
1st time in Bar Harbor

My husband and I are going to Bar Harbor the week of Sept 5, spending 4 days there. This is our 1st time there. I've gotten a lot of good tips from this forum. I heard the best way to get around is the Island Explorer. Do they have printed schedules there or should I print them from the website? We're definitely doing Acadia, is a bus tour a good idea? I've heard about buying a pass? Are they all the same or are there different passes? We're not hiking pros, but will definitely love to do that while we're there, any recommendations on trails? I also love to take pictures, any good spots? I've also written down a lot of restaurant suggestions like Cafe This Way, Trenton Lobster Pound, Jordan's Restaurant, Havana. Any locals know what the best seafood place is? I don't like seafood, but my husband loves it, hey you never know, maybe I'll come back a seafood lover too! :) And last but not least, what's the weather like this time of the year?

Lehigh Valley, PA
reviews: 4
11. Re: 1st time in Bar Harbor

Back to the Island Explorer for a minute. With the soaring gasoline prices, the Island Explorer is looking better and better. We may end up using it more around Acadia and the island.

I just hope we can find the gas necessary to make it to Bar Harbor on the 10th. Forget about what its going to cost.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
reviews: 6
12. Re: 1st time in Bar Harbor

Re: gasoline

Gasoline is available throughout Maine (at least it was, yesterday). Prices generally range between $2.75 and $2.95 per gallon, although that may creep upwards as the result of Katrina.

Bradley, Maine
reviews: 11
13. Re: 1st time in Bar Harbor

Back to the explorer one more time. Yes, you can drive around MDI any time of year in you vehicle. Yes you can get anywhere, whenever you want that way. On the other hand, if your on vacation and can appreciate a cheep/free way to get around and see the sights the explorer/bike combo is the way to go.

Just as an FYI... The Explorer funding wasn't solely created to make it easier to get around and find a place to park. It is an environmental idea to help with not only vehicle congestion, but pollution and damage. MDI is an extemely small island that recieves MILLIONS of visitors every year. It also encourages and provides the resources and ability to use perhaps, healthy alternate modes of trasportation, like.... feet.... .bikes etc.

That being said, not eveyone can do that. The park loop road is a great beautiful national treasure that everyone should enjoy at least once in their lives.

RI
reviews: 10
14. Re: 1st time in Bar Harbor

We're going to try using the Island Explorer as much as we can, mainly for environmental reasons, and if we save some gas that way, even better! It seems you can get pretty much anywhere around Bar Harbor on the Island Explorer from what I've read. Why not take advantage of it, and help preserve nature while we're at it? That's not to say we won't be using our car, gotta do the park loop at least once! :)

Got the map & directions ready, all the suggestions printed, and we're ready to rock & roll!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Bradley, Maine
reviews: 11
15. Re: 1st time in Bar Harbor

YEAY!!! Have fun!!