We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Bar Harbor or anywhere else in Maine!

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
First time to Bar Harbor or anywhere else in Maine!

My partner and I will be flying into Bangor the second week of October. We plan on renting a car and driving to Bar Harbo. We have some physical challenges and will be toting oxygen and a walker. Any ideas/suggestions on where to stay and what activities we may enjoy? Long distance walking is out of the question. I would really like to stay somewhere on the waterfront so that I can get up early to enjoy the sunrise. I like seclusion but know that that is impossible. Any suggestions on places to check out on our drive from Bangor to Bar Harbor. We would also like to take a couple of "day trips" and drive along the coast. When looking at the eating establishments I see plenty of lobster which is her choice of seafood but mine is crab legs,,,,am I out of luck? Also, are there medical facilities near by just in case? I know,,,,,lots of questions but we are thinking this may be our last big trip we will be able to take so want to make the most of it. We are from Wisconsin and really looking forward to seeing the coast.

Thanks

Barb

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 7
1. Re: First time to Bar Harbor or anywhere else in Maine!

There's not much to check out between Bangor and Bar Harbor. Maybe the L.L.Bean outlet store in Ellsworth. Day trips along the coast from Bar Harbor could be fun, though.

I think you might like staying at the Bar Harbor Inn which is right on the water, in town. It's a little more secluded than the Harborside Inn. Ask for a balcony room and you should be able to watch the sunrise right from your balcony. You will be close to all the restaurants and shops. The Shore Path, about a half mile long, will be right outside your door.

You are pretty much out of luck on the crab legs. That's Alaskan King Crab and not generally offered here. However, we do have crab cakes at many of the restaurants. Maine's crab has a very delicate flavor.

There is a hospital in Bar Harbor with an emergency room. They can handle many things and can also arrange an air lift to Bangor if that is necessary.

I hope you enjoy Maine. I was born and raised in Sheboygan, Wisconsin but feel like Maine was always meant to be my home.

Wisconsin
2. Re: First time to Bar Harbor or anywhere else in Maine!

Thanks for the info. LL Bean is one of my favorite catalogs so would be interesting to stop there. Sitting on the balconey and watching the sunset/rise sounds just like what I NEED right now.

Maine does sound like a beautiful state. I've always said I wanted to go south for the winters but for some reason I have always been drawn to Maine even with the harsh winters.

Barb

3. Re: First time to Bar Harbor or anywhere else in Maine!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 08, 2009