We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Trolley also Take out lobster...

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SC
Free Trolley also Take out lobster...

No, I am not planning on dating a lobster on a trolley, lol.

We will be in Bar Harbor via cruiseship. Does the free trolley allow one ot hop off and get back on later. I was thinking of using the system and then dining at either Thurston's Lobster Pound or Jenny's Pond Restaurant.

The other option was to find a "lobster shack" close to the pier that one can do take out. Are there any of these and sitting areas/picnic tables by the waterfront/pier? Not really interested in a restaurant sitdown lunch (except, gosh, lobster crepes).

I'm an ex-pat New Englander and so looking forward to my own personal decimation by consumption of the lobster population!

MissElle

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: Free Trolley also Take out lobster...

Without knowing when you will be here, it's hard to come up with answers:

The Island Explorer free shuttle will operate from 23 June through 8 October; specific routes and schedules are at:

<www.exploreacadia.com>

I see no reference to Jenny's Pond Restaurant in the local phone book, nor have I ever heard of it. Thurston's in still in business. They are at the end of the Southwest Harbor route of the Explorer.

There are several places near where you will disembark that feature lobster. I don't know if any feature (or provide) takeout. The Pier restaurant is at the end of the pier now associated with Harborside Hotel and Marina---it has an open dining area on the upper deck. Stewman's and West Street Cafe also specialize in lobster; both are within a block of where you will land.

There aren't any picnic tables that I know of in or near the town pier. Agamont Park, at the pier, has some benches and a lot of grass.

SC
2. Re: Free Trolley also Take out lobster...

cw,

Thanks for the quick reply. We will be at Bar Harbor 9/18.

I goofed and meant Jordan Pond, not Jenny. Are we are allowed to hop on/off/on the free trolleys? TIA

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
3. Re: Free Trolley also Take out lobster...

Yes you can. The shuttle buses will stop anywhere that the drivers deem it safe to do so. They also will stop to pick up people subject to the same consideration. It is a very user-friendly system.

For people like you, coming in from a cruise ship, you need to know that the shuttle buses leave from the Village Green, which is a two-to three block walk up Main Street from the town pier area.

SC
4. Re: Free Trolley also Take out lobster...

cw,

Again, a BIG thankyou!

MissElle

Virginia
reviews: 86
5. Re: Free Trolley also Take out lobster...

From what I recall, the buses are free but entrance into Acadia NP requires a pass.

Is that still correct?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
6. Re: Free Trolley also Take out lobster...

Yes.

The full fee structure is available at:

<http://www.nps.gov/acad>

For persons wishing only to enter the park via the Explorer, bicycle, motorcycle, or on foot, the seven-day pass is $5.00. The park operates an information and fee station in association with the Island Explorer staging area at the Village Green in Bar Harbor.

7. Re: Free Trolley also Take out lobster...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, September 01, 2009