We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temp. in July

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Owatonna, Minnesota
reviews: 61
Water temp. in July

We will staying right on the ocean this July. What can we expect for air and water temp?

Thank You

Tamm

Rockland, Maine
reviews: 5
1. Re: Water temp. in July

Air temperature: Hi 70's to Lo 80's for a high, dipping into the Hi 50's at night.

Water temperature: Lo 60's AT BEST.

Owatonna, Minnesota
2. Re: Water temp. in July

Thanks for the info. I guess I won't be getting the kids to excited about playing in the ocean. I sure a nice campfire will be in order for the evenings. Any other advice?

scituate, ma
reviews: 1
3. Re: Water temp. in July

We used to vacation around the Bar Harbor area when we were kids. My mom would drag me out of the water because I would be turning blue. Now I do the same with my kids. That water is cold, but still fun. You're from Minnesota, I bet you can handle it!

Where on the coast will you be? Inland waters, more protected areas are warmer.

Rockland, Maine
reviews: 5
4. Re: Water temp. in July

Well, if your staying in Bar Harbor, you obviously have to do Acadia National Park...its beautiful. There are alot of drives on Mt. Desert Island that you should do.....alot of amazing towns in the area (Northeast Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Bass Harbor, etc, etc). Do the Rt. 3 loop on one side of the island, and the Rt. 102 loop on the other side.

Also, if you're looking for lobster, you have to go to the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound up the road in the town of Trenton. www.trentonbridgelobster.com Absolutely awesome lobster.

I wouldn't rule out swimming in the ocean, alot of people do it! Like Northbound said...you're from Minnesota! If you need warmer water, alot of lodging in the area has outdoor pools.

I've never stayed at any of the lodging there (when I go, I camp in Acadia), so I can't really help you too much there.

Have a good time!

Owatonna, Minnesota
5. Re: Water temp. in July

We are also camping at narrow two campground. I keep forgetting I am tough I can handle the cold. I can't wait to have lobster I am going to check the web page out right away.

AUGUSTA,, MAINE
6. Re: Water temp. in July

tammyb,

Just a quick note that the inland Maine lakes will be the perfect swimming temp in July. Many public beaches, or just stop wherever you see a nice spot, and jump in. The ocean water is cold, hence the best lobsters in the world (and the relative lack of overdevelopment). So if the kids can't take it, you might want to drive a few miles inland for better swimming, there's no shortage of lakes. You'll have the added benefit of discovering the charm of inland Maine and its people, which is overlooked by most visitors who cling only to the coast. Whatever you do, you and your family will love it, guaranteed.

Owatonna, Minnesota
7. Re: Water temp. in July

What is the average price for lobster? We would like to have a meal or two out, but we heard you could stop at lobster shacks? We thought it would be neat to prepare it ourselves also. When we go out we would like a nice place that the kids can come with. (They are 10 and 11) But it doesn't have to be a 4 star.

scituate, ma
reviews: 1
8. Re: Water temp. in July

Lobster prices can fluctuate wildly, depending on the catch, or the season. Expect anything from 6.99 to 10.99 per pound. A lobster meal can run you around $20, sometimes higher. If you prepare your own, plan on at least 1 lobster per person if you are buying mediums (about 1 1/2 lbs ea). Some people think the bigger lobsters are tough - not true! Their meat is every bit as tender and succulent as can be. If you can get lobsters just after they've molted, they are easier to tear into. Otherwise, you'll just need some strong crackers to break the shells. Enjoy!

Owatonna, Minnesota
9. Re: Water temp. in July

How would I know if they have just molted? When you go out on the lobster boats are you able to buy some of what you catch? Thank you for all your information.

Tamm

texas
reviews: 17
10. Re: Water temp. in July

Acadia park is a must see! Resnt bikes in town at take them to the park. Check out a movie from the balcony at Criterion Theater. http://www.criteriontheater.com. Rosalies's Pizza is our favorite place to eat!! I agree with a previous post about Trenton lobster pound. Also-Fisherman's Landing on the water has fresh lobster and steamers if you are into that. We enjoyed the Margarat Todd sailboat ride, fun informative, close to shore! Beware of whale watch trips- The whales are wonderful "if" you see them but it is a long cold trip, with the possibility of seasickness. Have fun!