We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Living in Gaum

Which Guam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Cost of Living in Gaum

I have an job offer which will require me to relocate to Gaum for one to two year. Want to know how the cost of living compares to livining in Chicago, IL or any other big city in the mainland United States.

17 replies to this topic
Irvine, California
reviews: 39
1. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

booze is cheap, groceries are a little harder to compare. i think all the canned stuff is the same but fresh vegetables arent as good. junk food is more expensive. but on the bright side fish is way cheaper on guam. gas is more expensive for sure. not sure about rent as i am in hotels.

Guam
reviews: 36
2. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

I would say the cost of living here is most similar to Honolulu. Things are more expensive due to shipping. Your hardest hit areas are the gas and apt. rentals. Other than that, we've got the KMarts and Ross! US fast food places have prices just a bit higher than mainland prices. (Actually movie tickets are cheaper here than the LA or SFO!) For just two years, I'm sure you can make do. Hope this helps.

Apopka, Florida...
3. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

My Husband is being offered a job over there and I would like to know about the costs for like electric, water, groceries, rent. Is it hard to find a nice place to live there & furnished? We would be there for 2 years helping build the hospital there. I have heard it is hard to bring animals from home to there is this true? how hard is to get approved for a rental, electric & etc? What kind of deposits?

Guam
4. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

The current rental supply is good, so you shouldn't have a problem finding something decent. Not sure about furnished though. Because Guam is considered rabies free, animals require quarantine if not coming from a similarly rabies free area, e.g., US mainland. For an idea about the housing market, check out the local paper, www.guampdn.com, or mvguam.com. Hope this helps!

Apopka, Florida...
5. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

Thanks,how much are apartments or condos running? Is food expensive?

Apopka, Florida...
6. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

Thanks,how much are apartments or condos running? Is food expensive?

Guam
7. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

It really depends on location and size (ie how many bedrooms, beachfront, old vs new constructions) but if I had to guess, I would say between $900-$1500 you should be able to rent something pretty decent. Some may include cable and utilities.

As for food -- if you have military base privileges, then food is cheap. if not, then yes, food is expensive (compared to US, that is)

Apopka, Florida...
8. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

Thanks its just the 2 of us but we would like at least 2 bedrooms close to the beach. I guess it will be an adventure

Guam
9. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

Good Luck!

washington dc metro
reviews: 25
10. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

Two bedroom unforunished in a triplex in Yona was $800 plus utilities but 1 BR near beach might be $1500 or more in fancy unit with pool. You might be best to buy second hand furnitre and resell when you are ready to leave. Lots of people do that so there are usually good supply and you would probably make out better than renting furnished. Electric seems to be all over the place based on how much you use. Most places have individual room AC that cool down quickly instead of whole house AC common in continental US. So if you are home alot and keep real cold you will spend a lot. If you are at work and out a lot and just turn on for sleep not outrgeous. I did not think that it was nearly as expensive as Honolulu for groceries at grocery store. I thought groceries were about the same as suburban DC. Gas is more and it costs ALOT if you want to come home to visit or family emergency. You cannot eat there every night, but tuesday night in Agat the BBQ fish or chicken dinner w/ rice and salad is about $6-7. Agree if you have military shop you will save $ for gas and things. Great if you have somone back home who can shop and send you parts for your automobile as they may be 2-3 times US prices. Thats an option for lightweight parts like tail light or small things that fit in a USPS fixed rate box as postage is the exact same regular US prices :). Even if you pay high postage you can still save money on auto parts shipped from US. Good luck.

Reply to: Cost of Living in Gaum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guam
Recent Conversations