We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Life Park worth it?

Which Waimanalo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 3
Sea Life Park worth it?

I will be going to Sea Life Park and was wondering how much time should I leave for it? is 4 hours enough? (1pm-close)

is it worth it to take a look?

thanks!

Hawaii
1. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

No, it's not worth it.

Go to the waikiki aquarium or have a few drinks at the restaurant at the Pacific Beach Hotel ("Oceanarium" or "Oceania" ...somethin like that) it has a giant tank with huge fish.

Trust me, you'll see more and pay a lot less.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

We used to be fans of Sea Life Park; it was a cute Mom 'n Pop operation in a BEAUTIFUL location. Unfortunately, SLP was sold to a Mexican company named Dolphin Discovery a couple of years ago & things have really gone south.

Our most recent visit was back in February and it was a saddening experience. We asked several employees what was going on and the response was a consistent downtrodden "it's just not the same anymore". In particular, we returned to the Ray Encounter; they had relocated it to a small pool & the water was so disgusting that neither of us would venture much beyond knee deep.

In addition to the preceeding ideas, suggest you consider Dolphin Quest at the Kahala Hotel. If you're going to the Big Island, they also have a branch at the Hilton. Also, if Maui is on your itinerary, the Ocean Center is very nice.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
3. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

I wouldn't spend the money or time on it. If you are going to Maui, don't miss their Aquarium at Maalea (sp?).

Because you are from Vancouver, I'm quessing that your expectations of Sea Life Park will be high .. and you will be disappointed. We parked in an almost empty parking lot, took one look at the place, the prices and the fact there there were so few shows ... and left.

Vancouver, Canada
4. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

Thanks!

Since I am only going to be on Oahu and for 6 days, i do not want to waste a minute of it!!

=)

reviews: 60
5. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

My teenage daughter and I did the Dolphin Encounter and it was disgusting!. The pool was slimey green and I felt so sorry for the blind dolphin we had. You could see the whole place in an hour tops and there is really nothing to see. The tanks are so dirty you can't see anything anyway. The scenery around the park is beautiful. Rent a car a drive around that side of the island you will get a lot better views and have more fun.

Oahu
reviews: 8
6. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

Read in the Travel section of the Sunday paper there is a new kind of advertising where "ringers" post puffed up reviews of travel industry destinations. Reading the reviews here of SLP, there are a few I suspect. Look at the profiles and then click on the individuals travel map. The only place they have ever been is the place reviewed glowingly.

Drive to Sea Life Park, when you get there, keep on going. It is a beautiful drive and you will have 50+ dollars in your pocket you might have wasted on a humbug.

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 1
7. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

Wow, just scratched Sea Life Park right off of my things to do in Oahu list.

Really, the reviews were either UGH or wonderful, wonderful. I checked -- all the great reviews were the only contribution each user had ever made. I doubt people could spend time on Oahu and the only thing that made such an impression on them that they felt compelled to join TripAdvisor and post a glowing review was Sea Life Park.

Well, I now have an opening in my June itinerary. I'm thinking I'll have no problem finding something else to do.

Madison, Wisconsin
8. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

I agree with the others. Was not at all what I hoped for. Wouldn't do it again. Tanks were disgusting. If you do decide to go, 4 hours is more than enough.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 7
9. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

I did an Oahu trip report last week. We really enjoyed Sea Life Park but we did the dolphin encounter and ray encounter which included admission price. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth it--we didn't stay for other reasons but the reasons we went were enough to make it worth it.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
10. Re: Sea Life Park worth it?

so yucky about the dirty tanks.

Hope you guys are aware that you CAN catch stuff from dolphins (and vice versa).

While I'm against all captive dolphin encounters for ethical reasons, aside from that I would be super wary of getting in any water that is not pristine. We have some nasty bacteria here in the tropics. Don't EVER get in questionable water if you have a break in your skin or you're asking for a serious infection opportunity.

Poor blind abused dolphin! That just makes me sad to hear.