We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best shrimp truck on Oahu

Which Kahuku hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vista, CA
reviews: 16
Best shrimp truck on Oahu

We just got home from Oahu, Hawaii and we tried several shrimp trucks. The best shrimp truck we went to is Cameron shrimp truck, 56-931 Kamehameha Hwy, Kahuku. It is an old blue truck and after passing so many trucks, we were leary, but the shrimp was the best ever. The rice was wonderful with plenty of the garlic sauce spilling over onto the rice to make the whole meal great. My teens had the lime shrimp, spicy garlic shrimp and I had the garlic shrimp. He cuts the back out of the shrimp to remove the vein, which some of the trucks did not do, and the kids would not eat the shrimp once they saw the veins. His are easy to peel as opposed to those who just cook the shrimp without cleaning, because he splits the back. It comes with a salad, vegetables and plenty of succulent shrimp and rice. He had more flavor options also. We got our shrimp from Cameron and took it up the street to Kahuku farms and sat on their patio and ate with a beautiful view of the hills and beautiful flowers that they sell. Then we bought a wonderful banana bread topped with their homemade ice cream from their snack bar. They have a lovely grass area and balls and toys for kids to run and play, for those with families who need a break from the car.

Don't go to "The Shrimp Shack" in Punalulu if you will be grossed out by the veins in the shrimp. They cook theirs without cleaning and were sparce on the sauce, however my husband said their coconut shrimp was good, but they were sparce on the dip for it. I saw the shrimp shack commercial on tv and went there expecially for the local garlic corn on the cob, but they were out of it, being a bad year for corn crop. They did however have steak as an option, which my grandaughter got because she doesn't like shrimp. It's just too bad we spent $70 on food and the boys wouldn't eat their shrimp because if the veins in them.

Seattle
reviews: 18
1. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

So, how was the rest of your trip??

Singapore
reviews: 38
2. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

Our Circle Island tour stopped at Fumi Shrimp Farm (Kahuku) and I found the shrimp really very fresh and tasting great! From OP's description, it seems that all shrimp trucks seem to be offering more or less the same venue.

ecoast
3. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

Oh. I was expecting a question, not a statement.

Did you try Giovanni's or any of the other trucks? Or just the 2 you mentioned?

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

I never thought of the veins bothering anyone. I guess I never thought of it that way. Doesnt bother us I guess.

We'll be there in a few weeks at Turtle Bay so we'll be checking all those places out.

Frisco, Texas
Destination Expert
for Kailua
reviews: 55
5. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

818, check out Tita's Grill in Kahuku. Great food and huge portions...and free chocolate cake, which is outstanding.

Vista, CA
6. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

Cameron was so good, we went back to his truck. Had a great time!

Vista, CA
7. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

Awesome! Went on a snorkel trip with Dolphin Excursions and saw dolphins and turtles. My husband and grandson saw turtles in lagoons 1 & 2 at Ko Olina lagoons, but grandaughter and I missed them before they swam out to sea. Boys went on Sea Doos and on ATV ride at Koaloa Farm while husband and grandaughter and I went on the jungle jeep ride. Wow, that was a fast and bumpy ride, but so fun. We got very muddy. We went to Wiamea Falls park, but I am injured, so their tram was very fast and they didn't tell us the last tram to leave the falls was at 4:30, so by the time I got to the falls, I had to leave because I was unable to walk the 3/4 mile back to the entrance. The falls was a bit of a disappointment since it was not pretty at the falls, but the park is lovely, what I saw from my speedy ride on the golf cart tram. We enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center, making leaf fish, weaving a head band and doing the activities, however their luau was very corporate feeling, not like the luau on the sand that we have here in San Diego. Their show, "Ha, Breath of Life" was very good and the fire dancers were my favorite part of the show. We went to Pearl Harbor Arizona Memorial, and the movie we saw this time was different from the movie we saw about 20 years ago. I liked the other movie better, I felt this one was made to be politically correct and didn't have the survivors talking in it. The other one, I felt paid homage to the soldiers and what they went through. We went to Wiamea bay and our oldest grandson jumped off "the rock" much to my dismay, but once I saw he was ok, that was fine, and we also saw the turtles sunning themselves at Lanakia?? beach. We had the best shave Ice at Matsumoto. The other shave ice we had was more of a snow cone with thick ice crystals. Yes, we had a great time and saw and did lots of things in our two weeks!

Vista, CA
8. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

You may want to get an Entertainment book, look on Groupon.com or Livingsocial.com for coupons if you like to use them. We saved 25% on our Dolphin Excursion snorkel trip and we saved $100 at Polynesian Cultural Center with our party of 5, both from Entertainment book. The other sites had restaurant offerings. We were in a condo so ate in as much as we could, or packed a lunch. We went to Kualoa Ranch and rode the jungle jeep ride ($25.) and it was quite the wild ride, very fun. We love that side of the island because it rain forest. I wrote another response to another person on this site, so you can read what we did, or if you have any questions, please ask. We had a great time.

ecoast
9. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

❄❄❄ I never thought of the veins bothering anyone. ❄❄❄

You know what it is?

straightdope.com/columns/read/1843/is-that-b…

deepsouthdish.com/2010/03/how-to-butterfly-s…

Vista, CA
10. Re: Best shrimp truck on Oahu

Thanks for the tip on Tita's Grill, We'll try it next time out.

Get answers to your questions about Kahuku