We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather patterns in Oahu?

Which Kahuku hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hawaiihelp
reviews: 1
Weather patterns in Oahu?

I am planning an outdoor wedding ceremony and reception in Oahu toward the end of February. Since everything will be outside, I am very worried about the chances of rain and heavy wind. Can someone tell me if there will be a difference between the North Shore and the West Shore when it comes to rain and wind? There is a location I like a lot on the Northshore but I would hate for the rain to ruin our wedding day. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Hawaii
1. Re: Weather patterns in Oahu?

You can take a look at the following rainfall map for some info:

www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx

The west shore or waikiki area is a safer bet. Either way I would recommend a contingency plan - one where you'll still be happy no matter what the weather turns out to be for that day.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
2. Re: Weather patterns in Oahu?

We have had outstanding weather on both of our February trips ... both North and West Shores. Honolulu/West -- that's the dry side of the island. North Shore - stands to reason that it may be rainier.

www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/content.php?pid=52

Check out this website.

Napa, California
Destination Expert
for Kailua
reviews: 12
3. Re: Weather patterns in Oahu?

February is the rainy season. As much as I prefer the Northshore, I would plan an outside event on the South or West shores.

USA
reviews: 65
4. Re: Weather patterns in Oahu?

Actually, there wont be too much of a difference. The rain in Jan-Mar are kona storms that crop up from the south and sock the entire island, for days at a time, even an entire week. The west side of Oahu gets something like 75% of its rainfall totals just from these months alone, so there's little to no relief; you are equally at risk no matter where you are. The fact it may rain 5" per day in one spot vs 2" in another on the same day means nothing when it comes to your situation.

The west side's lack of rain is most apparent during the rest of the year, when trade wind showers can cause heavy rainfall in the windward areas that also move into the central plateau, while west Oahu remains sunny. Vog in the past year is also very bad on the southern portions of Oahu when the southerly winds blow; it will look like a bad day in LA.

Therefore, if you are planning to avoid rain, Feb is not the month for you -- you are chancing it all the way. Rainfalls are predicted to be higher than average for 2009 too.

Napa, California
Destination Expert
for Kailua
reviews: 12
5. Re: Weather patterns in Oahu?

Orangekitty -

While you are correct that during a Kona storm the whole island is impacted, you are incorrect that the weather is the same on all sides of the island.

I live right on the border between rainy and not as rainy. We often will chase the sun to the other side of the island when our side is hit. The south and west sides are desert, the north and east sides are not.

hawaiihelp
reviews: 1
6. Re: Weather patterns in Oahu?

Hi Everyone! And thanks for your replies. I also contacted the Hawaii Department of Meteorology and here was thier response:

Aloha!

Congratulations on your engagement! While I cannot guarantee that it will not rain on your wedding day, I was able to pull up some archived data for the latter part of February for the past 10 years. February is part of the "rainy" season in Hawai'i, but most of the rain showers are light and short-lived. Rainfall for both locations was less than 0.5 inches on any given day, and winds averaged around 3-4 mph roughly from the east during the afternoons. From personal experience, there is a higher chance of it being overcast in Haleiwa while Ko'Olina is more likely to be sunny and a few degrees warmer, if you wish to take that into consideration as well.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us again.

Rosey

Climate Office Undergraduate Assistant

===============================================

Who knew that planning an outdoor wedding would be so difficult?

7. Re: Weather patterns in Oahu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kahuku