We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, United...
reviews: 6
Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

First trip to Maui. Will be traveling with 2 kids--13 and 10. Not sure which hotel is better, the Westin or Sheraton. Prices close but concerned about construction posts regarding Westin and rundown posts for Sheraton. Looking at ocean view rooms. Anyone who has been to either recently please reply.

24 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
1. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

I know them both well ... and I recommend that you take a look at the Westin VILLAS, not the Westin Resort and Spa. The Villas are a condo resort - lots of room and great pools.

The Westin Resort and Spa has no grounds. The pools are stacked between the buildings. Tends to be noisy from Whaler's Village next door ... and high foot traffic from the beach walk. Also - many of the rooms are oddly configured, giving them a small feeling. Not good for 4 people.

The Sheraton Maui is a gorgeous resort. Incredible beach, grounds, views, food. Their pool is very nice, but they don't have a dedicated pool for kids.

Here is a map of the Ka'anapali resort area that may help you. The Westin VILLAS are "A." If the map comes up small, click on it. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

The Westin Villas, the Sheraton Maui and the Westin Resort and Spa share a shuttle that takes you between the properties and to Lahaina as well.

San Carlos...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

Sheraton for sure. The best location on Kaanapali.

Lahaina, Hawaii
3. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

The Sheraton has the best beach and good snorkeling in front of it. As far as I can see this year, there is no noisy construction going on by either of the Westin properties. There is at the Hyatt resort. The Westin

Resort Hotel has really fun pools for kids with a water slide and water falls and grottos to swim through. The Sheraton pools don't have these features. It is an easy walk from the Westin Resort Hotel to the great beach near the Sheraton. The Sheraton is a quieter less crowded property. Both hotels are easy walking distance to great restaurants and shopping.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 4
4. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

After they built the new Sheraton the snorkeling at Black Rock suffered. I wonder if it ever recovered? Black rock aside, I prefer the beach in front of the Westin. There were some fun waves and even surfing. The Westin pools are nicer. I think you would prefer the Sheraton, and the kids the Westin.

Yakima, Washington
reviews: 9
5. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

We stayed at the Westin Resort earlier this month. Never heard any noise from Whalers Villiage. Birds yes but we enjoyed those. I had no problems with the Westin. Loved its location and the beach was really nice. The pools were not super crowded. The location is pretty fabulous.

Lahaina, Hawaii
6. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

Turttwig, how long ago did they build the sheraton? The snorkeling now is pretty good in the front and excellent if you go around the point and into the shallow reefs on the backside of where the divers jump.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 10
7. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

The stretch of Ka'anapali is a planned resort developed originally by AMFAC in the 1960s. So of course, the first resorts to be built went in on the best stretches of beach. Royal Lahaina was built i 1962. The Sheraton and the Maui Ka'anapali Villas (originally Hilton I think) were built in 1963. The Sheraton went through a complete overhaul and remodel in the mid 1990s and for sweeping ocean views, it's tough to beat the views from the Sheraton buildings that sit oceanfront up on top of Black Rock. The Westin Resort on Ka'anapali Beach was built in the early 70s and the Westin Villas north of Black Rock were constructed in the mid 2000s. The stretch of beach there is wonderful and Black Rock has always carried a reputation for good snorkeling.

But the truth is, all of the good snorkeling areas have suffered over the years with increased development and use. Black Rock, Kapalua, Honolua Bay and other sites are nothing like they were 40, 20, or even 10 years ago. Even things like the sun lotion you use has a negative impact on the coral reefs (please use a Reef Safe lotion).

I like the snorkeling out in front of the Westin Villas better than Black Rock, but if it is great views from your room that you are after, I might lean towards the Sheraton. The Westin Villas are timeshare and it's tough to get one of those oceanfront locations unless you are an owner.

Edited: 11:47 pm, February 28, 2014
Detroit
reviews: 1
8. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

I am facing the same dilemma. I am traveling with my wife and 12 and 20 year old sons in mid-June 2014. The kids like the pools and hot tubs. The reviews are iffy at both properties. People report the Sheraton is getting run down. People state the Westin has cold pools but will that really matter in June. Westin only has 1 small hot tub?

I am currently reserved using SPG points at the Sheraton for 2 rooms and 6 nights. I go back and forth between the Sheraton and Westin. We don't plan on just sitting by the pool or the resort--I could do that in Florida. We will be out visiting the island. We will be in Honolulu for 5 nights at Aulani using our DVC points before going to Maui. I am starting to wonder if we should go to Kauai instead of Maui but I think there are more things to do in Maui.

Still perplexed.

Madison
reviews: 1
9. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

Sheraton --better location and grounds in my opinion. Don't worry too much about a view iffy reviews as they come with every place! :)

reviews: 740
10. Re: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui

Sheraton! Love the location of this hotel. :)

Reply to: Westin Maui vs Sheraton Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted