We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

We are flying from Honolulu to Maui and trying to work out the best area to stay in Maui

There are 2 adults and 2 teenagers going.

We like the beach but also enjoy a central location with shops, restaurants - so not to quitre or remote.

I have been recommended Hyatt Regency which has quite good reviews but not sure how far from the "action: the propert is.

Is it walking distance to major shopping area like Whalers Village .

Can you recommend any other properties around the area.

Is there a resort fee and tax payable on top of accomodation costs in Maui hotels - similar to most hotels in Honolulu?

Thanks in advance

36 replies to this topic
Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 8
1. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

Hyatt Regency is 3 hotels away from Whalers Village -- easily walked. Yes, resort fee + tax + parking fees.

La Costa, California
2. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

If you look at the route on Google, you'll see it's about 8 tenths of a mile. Add to that the walk down the halls and down to the beach path from your room, and to me, it's a long walk. We did it once, it's a lovely walk, but after that we drove.

Dave

SoCal
reviews: 19
3. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

My favorite in that vicinity is the Westin Maui Resort. We're going next month for the 3rd time there. (5th on island) We have gone once with 3 teenage boys and they loved the pool complex with water slide, volleyball net, basketball hoop (all IN the pool!) and it also has a nice adults only pool for when Mom and Dad need a break! ;) We stay together during our family vacations but some people might like a break. The rooms in the Beach Tower are a bit larger so a bit more accommodating if you plan of all 4 sharing a room.

For your resort fee here, you get a free shuttle to other Starwood properties (Sheraton, Westin Villas), Cannery Mall (where the Old Lahaina Luau is) and also to Lahaina Town! This is a great perk if you like to have a few mai tais with your dinner in town! :)

Another perk of staying here is the self parking is FREE! Often self parking fills up so they will valet you for free in that case. I feel like you get a bit more bang for your buck here with the resort fees which are $30 I believe. About the same as the Hyatt which has no shuttle!

Oh and it is right next door to Whaler's Village. Really multiplies the shopping and dining options when they are so close to the resort! :)

I'm not saying that there is anything at all wrong with the Hyatt. :) This is just what WE prefer!

Edited: 11:20 am, June 19, 2013
4. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, June 19, 2013

SoCal
reviews: 19
5. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

We'll agree to disagree BLBL! ;)

Kansas City
reviews: 42
6. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

The Hyatt is an excellent choice. It is our favorite at Kaanapali. We prefer it over the Westin Maui because the rooms are larger and we prefer the location at the end of Kaanapali which seems less congested than the Westin Maui. I agree the walking time is probably 15 minutes to Whaler's Village.

Other hotel choices would be the Sheraton and the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. KBH is older and probably less expensive than the others. There are also condos along the same stretch of beach.

All of the hotels at Kaanapali have restaurants and some shops. I think the Hyatt has more shops than the others. Japengo and Sonz at the Hyatt are good restaurant choices and the Swan Court is a nice place for breakfast. I expect all the hotels have resort fees and probably a charge for parking.

The beach is nicer in front of the Westin or KBH, but it's also more crowded. The Sheraton is on Black Rock and has the best snorkeling.

Maui, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 69
7. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

The Hyatt is a 5 minute walk to Whalers Village. They are building another tower.

I would look at Kaanapali Alii. It is a delux condo with very large units. It has a fabulous BBQ area and updated pool area. These places have large kitchens which I think you would find handy. It would be a different vibe with the absence of time share and time shares sales. It is within the original

Kaanapali Resort area and 2 doors down from Whalers Village Shops and Restaurants.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 18
8. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

I've stayed at the Kaanapali Alii and agree that it's a lovely resort with absolutely great and spacious condos. I do see that you have teenagers in tow, so I'll throw out that the Alii only has a basic pool as opposed to the Hyatt which has much, much more in this particular area. It all depends on what's important to your crew.

Personally, we gave up on hotels decades ago as condos fit our style better than hotels do. I'm going from memory here which is always dangerous, but I believe the 1 bedroom at the Alii was around 1500 sq ft or so. It's actually closer to a 2 bedroom as there is an office area that is nearly always has a bed in it. This space also exists in the 2 bedroom units, effectively making them a 3 bedrooms. These are around 1900 sq ft.

Another option for a condo would be The Whaler which I s next door to Whaler's Village. The 2 bedroom units are around 1600 sq ft or so with a large lanai as well. The Whaler also has a basic pool only. If you rent here, try to get in the North tower or the north side of the South tower. This will avoid the noise that can come from Whaler's Village.

Melbourne
9. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

OMG ta's

you have all outdone yourselves.

I now have to sieve through the information and choose the best option.

Thanks so much

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 14
10. Re: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village

I'd say the Hyatt is about 15 minutes max to Whaler's Village. Of course, it depends on where at the Hyatt you are. The property is sorta strung along the south end of the beach.

I would not consider the Hyatt remote - at all! And the Hyatt has more activities on-site than any other resort along the beach. Very family oriented, although it does cater to large groups.

<<Can you recommend any other properties around the area?>> Well, I think that you really nailed it with the Hyatt. The Marriott timeshares and Ka'anapali Ali'i are a possibility. I would avoid the Westin Resort and Spa! BUT - the Westin VILLAS north of Black Rock are very nice condos in an excellent resort setting. They are not as handy to Whaler's Village for sure.

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali Resort area. The Hyatt is "L" on the far right-hand side. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/… There is some distance information as well.

On this website, you can scroll down and click on the properties that interest you - and see an aerial view. I generally disregard the commentary.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Taxes are levied state wide. Resort fees are applied on an individual resort basis.

Reply to: Hyatt Regency in Maui - how far is it from Whalers Village
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted