We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
arizona
reviews: 37
First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Hey Fellow TA's...... Me and my DH (in our 40's) and two teenage sons are coming to Hawaii 6-1 through 6-12. We are staying in Oahu the 1st-4th and arrive in Maui on 6/5 in the afternoon...I have been to Oahu before and I have that dialed in however, Maui is new for me.... I have been reading the forums and I appreciate all the feedback from others... We are really doing a lot in Oahu and I wanted to relax a bit in Maui...

We have a car rental booked and I know to have DH get car while kids and I get bags.... We get in at 2:00pm. Stopping at Costco/Grocery store (got my Safeway card) for a few definitely needed items.... Water, kona coffee, wine, and snacks..

Staying at Kapaula Villas in a Gold Room Ocean view (thank god we paid the extra for gold). Plan on getting the law of the land on Wednesday do dinner at Pineapple Grill and be certain to try the pineapple upside-down cake.

Thursday.... explore the resort and beach and if needed make additional grocery list for food... The Ritz is doing a wine food thing so I thought we would check that out.... can't seem to find info on it though. :( Maybe we will be Ritz crashers! LOL

Friday.....drink loads of Kona coffee and chill with my kids... maybe a little drive to a close beach? Friday night Dad and Mom are going on a date to see Warren at the magic show.... already booked did the add on for cocktail's and appetizer.

Saturday..... wanted to do surf lessons for the kids however my older son is a lifeguard this year and isn't really interested but I think a trip to Lahaina for some walking sightseeing and shaved ice at Ululani's.... who would you all use for surf lessons in town for two teenagers just incase?

Sunday.....doing the "Road to Hana" with Valley Isle Excursions... requesting Charlie/Chuck".

Monday.... Massive amounts of Kona Coffee and sun, water, chilling relax time.. do some laundry and start a bit of repacking so we aren't in a rush on Wednesday...

Tuesday last full day in Maui..... Booked the Old Lahaina Luau. I am a bit worried about this as I booked through Vaitor and it isn't confirmed yet they say 48 hours... but I am thinking positive incase of issues what is the next best Luau? I really want my kids to experience one.

Wednesday.... one or two last cups of Kona on the balcony... before heading to the airport... how much drive time should we give ourselves from Kapaula to the airport? What have we missed or should we add to this? I appreciate any and all suggestions.

reviews: 59
21. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

book the Scotch Mist at Lahaina for a sunset cruise.....Awesome!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 351
22. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

I will second the comment to look for Maui Grown Maui Mokka. If your local Starbucks has a Clover machine, they should have Maui Mokka.

I know you have plans Wednesday, but I would really seriously consider going to the Slack Key Masters Concert next door at Napili Kai Resort. It is Wednesdays only. Slack Key is a uniquely Hawaiian form of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSOhhsOxwss

http://www.slackkeyshow.com/

I'd also put Napili Bay on your radar screen for breakfast at either The Gazebo or Sea House.

At Safeway or Costco you can get all kinds of Hawaiian food, lomi lomi salmon, poke, lau lau, manapua, Kalua pig, etc. The one in Lahaina is great.

Have a great trip and I hope you write a trip report. I am anxious to hear how you and the kids like it. Hide hubby's iPhone.

PS dang I could watch these videos all night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlTD_R3P2tw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipKGi9gN_9A

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 2
23. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

I'm new to this....but DH?? We will be in Maui all next week as well. Thanks for the ideas on some things to do, ie Pineapple Grill and Magic Show. I will have to post a new topic for ideas to do for just my husband and me, as we are doing this trip without the kids! Have a great time!

San Jose
reviews: 32
24. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Not sure if teenagers will appreciate a drive to Hana with so much other stuff to do.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
25. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

The teens I took to Hana had a blast!! Especially the pools at Oheo Gulch and the Pipiwai Trail.

DH=dear husband.

Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 18
26. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

My 3 teenage boys have always loved our trips in the Road to Hana as well!

Hoselady, in response to your invite for drinks, not sure if you saw but we had to change our dates to July! Bummer! :(

Shorewood, Illinois
reviews: 49
27. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

If you can find time Saturday morning I would suggest the Maui Swap meet near the airport. Great food and localy made crafts. Fun for the whole family and a great way to start the day off.

Arlington, Texas
reviews: 9
28. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

We just returned from Maui last Saturday (6/1) (our 8th trip since 2002).

There is SO MUCH to see and do...Your boys would enjoy the zip lining tour. Also a Helicopter Tour with Blue Hawaii Company has a Maui Spectacular Tour that enables you to see parts of Maui you can see no other way. We have done that one 3 times. Be sure you pick up the various Maui Tourism magazines for LOTS of money saving coupons. Check out the 101 things to see and do on Maui Magazine too. Eat breakfasts at Moose McGillacudys in Lahaina on Front St. (B1G1Free) .

Fleetwood's (also on Front St. in Lahaina) (is owned by Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac) (he lives on Maui, but is currently on tour) has really good food, (though it's a little pricy).

I hope you have an awesome time!! Maui No Ka Oi! (Maui IS THE BEST)

Edited: 1:53 am, June 06, 2013
29. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 08, 2014