We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
arizona
reviews: 14
First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Hey Fellow TA's...... Me and my DH (in our 40's) and two teenage sons are coming to Hawaii 6-1 through 6-12. We are staying in Oahu the 1st-4th and arrive in Maui on 6/5 in the afternoon...I have been to Oahu before and I have that dialed in however, Maui is new for me.... I have been reading the forums and I appreciate all the feedback from others... We are really doing a lot in Oahu and I wanted to relax a bit in Maui...

We have a car rental booked and I know to have DH get car while kids and I get bags.... We get in at 2:00pm. Stopping at Costco/Grocery store (got my Safeway card) for a few definitely needed items.... Water, kona coffee, wine, and snacks..

Staying at Kapaula Villas in a Gold Room Ocean view (thank god we paid the extra for gold). Plan on getting the law of the land on Wednesday do dinner at Pineapple Grill and be certain to try the pineapple upside-down cake.

Thursday.... explore the resort and beach and if needed make additional grocery list for food... The Ritz is doing a wine food thing so I thought we would check that out.... can't seem to find info on it though. :( Maybe we will be Ritz crashers! LOL

Friday.....drink loads of Kona coffee and chill with my kids... maybe a little drive to a close beach? Friday night Dad and Mom are going on a date to see Warren at the magic show.... already booked did the add on for cocktail's and appetizer.

Saturday..... wanted to do surf lessons for the kids however my older son is a lifeguard this year and isn't really interested but I think a trip to Lahaina for some walking sightseeing and shaved ice at Ululani's.... who would you all use for surf lessons in town for two teenagers just incase?

Sunday.....doing the "Road to Hana" with Valley Isle Excursions... requesting Charlie/Chuck".

Monday.... Massive amounts of Kona Coffee and sun, water, chilling relax time.. do some laundry and start a bit of repacking so we aren't in a rush on Wednesday...

Tuesday last full day in Maui..... Booked the Old Lahaina Luau. I am a bit worried about this as I booked through Vaitor and it isn't confirmed yet they say 48 hours... but I am thinking positive incase of issues what is the next best Luau? I really want my kids to experience one.

Wednesday.... one or two last cups of Kona on the balcony... before heading to the airport... how much drive time should we give ourselves from Kapaula to the airport? What have we missed or should we add to this? I appreciate any and all suggestions.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 12
1. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Well I'm going to suggest you switch from Kona to MAuigrown coffee, under the smokestack in Lahaina, for your morning beverage.

Everything else sounds great, your boys will love DT Fleming Beach...very close to you.

A stop in Whaler's Village for lunch or drinks and pupuss would be a fun addition.

At least an hour drive time to the airport depending on the time your flight leaves.

SoCal
reviews: 19
2. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

http://kapaluawineandfoodfestival.com/

Here's a link to the festival! We'll be there the exact same dates as you! We leave a day earlier though!

I think your plans sound wonderful! For surfing lessons, I suggest Goofy Foot. My 3 teenage boys and husband took a lesson from them in 2011.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
3. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

I don't understand about the Kona coffee. You can bring some home with you. And Starbucks on the Mainland will be featuring 100% Kona soon.

arizona
4. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Thank you all for your responses!!!!! Mamma0203 I appreciate the advice and will definitely check it out! Fungirl025 maybe we can meet up for cocktails? I have some dear friends I have met on TA and I always say strangers are friends we haven't met yet! I will check out the tour for our sons! Thank you for the link.... I don't think we will do the tasting as it is on days and times I have other things going on.... I would have done the final night however we have the Road to Hana trip and that will be a long day so I doubt we will want to get to our hotel by 6:15pm and rush right over for that event.... Just not going to stress it! I don't want to be watching my watch all the time oh wait no watches allowed on Maui!!!!! BLBL the "Kona" comment is just a do as the locals do.... I am a Starbucks gold club member so I love a good cup of coffee... I will try Momma's advice nothing better to me that waking up and drinking coffee on the balcony with the ocean and cool breeze that's my idea of heaven on earth. Amazing time to meditate and center myself. I want to make sure we enjoy some of the must do's of Maui but I also want to find a way for the family to relax.... My DH is a CFO and is always busy he needs some downtime and so do I. life is so busy at home and we welcome the chance to just chill and enjoy the simple moments of Maui! Thanks in advance I know this is going to be a memorable trip! Aloha!!!!!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 264
5. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Nice. Looks like just the right amount of down-time.

BTW, you will LOVE Warren & Annabelle's show. We've gone many times and it never gets old. Helpful hint, if you'd like to take an active part in the show, take a hundred dollar bill with you. Might not get selected, but be prepared to be totally amazed.

arizona
6. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Oregon John.... Please explain!!!!

Boston, MA
reviews: 5
7. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

I'll second Mamma's suggestion of Maui Grown. We like their Lahaina Beach Blend for a smooth, creamy morning cup. Or for something very different, try their Maui Moka, for a dark, rich, ever-so-slightly chocolatey cup.

Edited: 5:22 pm, May 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
reviews: 49
8. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

I was in Maui in April with two teenaged boys. They loved the Road to Hana and DT Fleming beach (we rented boogie boards). They also loved the snorkeling tour (Trilogy) to Molokini. Their favourite restaurant was Cool Cat Cafe in Lahaina. You are going to have so much fun!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 8
9. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

Kapalua in June will be gorgeous. Several terrific beach options nearby. DT Flemming will be great for boogie boarding. Have breakfast at the Seahouse (Napili Kai) one morning and stay to enjoy the beach at Napili Bay or walk over to Kapalua Bay - both have decent snorkeling.

Any plans for an ocean excursion? Either a snorkeling trip or a sunset cruise would be great. For surf lessons, Goofy Foot Surf School and Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy both consistently get high reviews. Hope you have a blast - and be sure to come back and tell us all about it afterwards.

arizona
10. Re: First timers in Maui....Suggestions or have I done it right?

I am so glad to hear that... We are in Kapalua and I am looking into goofy foot surf school now.... They should have a blast!