We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lahaina vs. Kihei

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Charles...
Lahaina vs. Kihei

We stayed in Lahaina before years ago. We are going back in 2014--which area is best?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 13
1. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

Welcome to the forums! First of all jump over to the main Maui forum...at the top is a search bar...type in "West Maui vs. South Maui", "Kaanapali vs. Kihei", "Lahaina vs. Kihei" and you will get a ton of posts with 2 tons of differing opinions.

Come back and tell us who is traveling, when you are visiting and for how long and what your interests are...oh yeah nightly budget is a biggie too! Hotel or condo? Help us help you with your planning.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
2. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

Neither side is better, just different!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
3. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

There is no such thing as "best" - only what is best for you!

How long has it been since you visited Maui? Did you actually stay in the town of Lahaina? Somewhere else in the area? Where?

What interests you in Kihei? Condos?

What do you like to do? What brings you back to Maui?

How many nights will you have on Maui?

Who is "we?" Spouse? Kids? Friends?

Will you rent a car?

(And I bet YOU thought that YOU were the one asking questions!)

:o)

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
4. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

Geez BLBL and mamma, you sure are nosy!! ;o)

But yes, you do need to write BLBL's "exam" so we can help you better.

And welcome to Trip Advisor!

Edited: 9:10 pm, March 18, 2013
Alaska
reviews: 7
5. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

Kihei!!! LOL......I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist! Deb

P.S. Seriously, providing information helps us help you!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
6. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

There is no right answer. We stayed a dozen years in Kihei when the in laws had the free condo for our use, and the kids were young. Then we moved on to Lahaina/Kaanpali as we were driving up that way a lot for activities and restaurants.

Now that the family are all adults, they like walking around Whalers Village or Lahaina town in the evenings.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 178
7. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

It really is a personal decision. I stayed in Kaanapali area twice and never could figure out why everyone loved Maui. Just stayed in N. Kihei and absolutely loved everything about our recent vacation.

The Kaanapalii area is built up pretty much for tourists. Lots of hotels, condos, and restaurants that support them. To me, it felt too crowded. N. Kihei seemed more "home" like. The condo we chose had many owner/residents staying at the time and it really gave the place a sense of community which I found very comforting!

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 27
8. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

Now how funny we stay in West Maui and I can never figure out why anyone stays in Kihei. Now we do NOT stay in Ka'anapali because yes it is tourist heaven but Lahaina is a great town with a nice mix of residents and travelers.

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
9. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

Dean.... where are you??? There is no pass or fail for the "exam", honest! Have you had any time to think about the information you have received?

Lahaina, Hawaii
reviews: 41
10. Re: Lahaina vs. Kihei

Hotels/condos are less expensive in Kihei.