We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

haleakala sunset

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, new york
haleakala sunset

We are staying on kaanapali and want to do haleakala for sunset. Can anyone suggest what we can do on are way up there? where should we stop to eat, what should we see along the way?? We want to make an afternoon and evening out of it> Any thoughts would be appreciated. Family with two teens. We are first timers from ny

Vancouver, BC
1. Re: haleakala sunset

We just had this exact topic last week, I say make a day of it. Go to Paia, Surfing Goat Dairy, Tadeschi Winery, Makawao, Kula Farms, The Lavender Farm etc., I would eat in Paia, Flatbread Co or Paia Fish MArket, but also lots of great places upcountry...

Edited: 3:13 pm, March 04, 2013
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
2. Re: haleakala sunset

Makawao, Iao Needle, Maui Ocean Center.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
3. Re: haleakala sunset

Do check the phone # to check on weather conditions (I'm sure if's been given here). If weahter is iffy, I'd still go, but earlier in the day, so yo don't have to drive back in the dark. There's a restaurant part way up (sorry can't recall the name). I have driven to the top twice and each time found the drive tiring, with traffic. Good luck on the weather! We also stayed in Kaanapali but went to Haleakala mid-day (and got lots of clouds, limited visibility).

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei
reviews: 16
4. Re: haleakala sunset

http://www.nps.gov/hale/index.htm

Check the hours for the visitors information centers. You will find some great information you might not want to miss. Also the sunrays shining into the crater makes the cinders have vibrate colors. The sunrays will leave the crater about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hrs or so before sunset. This will give you time to enjoy the crater, do some hiking and see the sky change before sunset. We take a picnic supper up to the to summit with us.

Dress warmly, temps really drop at sunset.

Buffalo, new york
5. Re: haleakala sunset

Oh a pinic lunch at the top sounds awesome!!!! maybe we will eat dinner after sunset in Paia. Sorry about the triple post!! i don't know how that happened

Elk Grove...
reviews: 13
6. Re: haleakala sunset

We are opting for the sunset as well, a stop at the winery and a picnic dinner sound great.

Buffalo, new york
7. Re: haleakala sunset

ok one more question. How far away is mammas fish house from the haleakala. I want to make reservations for that night but i don't know an approx time??

Vancouver, BC
8. Re: haleakala sunset

Please remember if you plan on a picnic, it's a lot colder on top than at sea level, right now, it's 51 degrees up top in the middle of the day. When the sun starts to go down it will be in the mid to low 40's. brrrr.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
9. Re: haleakala sunset

I'd allow at least an hour from the summit to Mama's, and probably more after dark, due to visibility and traffic from other sunset-watchers (two lane road with few places to pass).

I think it might be a bit nippy for a picnic, but you can try.

Buffalo, new york
10. Re: haleakala sunset

There are tour guides that you can rent who will drive your car and take you anywhere you want. Would it be worth it to hire someone to drive us and he could show us all the cool spots along the way?? Has anyone ever done this?