We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kalamazoo michigan
Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Is it possible to rent a Harley Davidson on the Island? If so , would the Road to Hana be "doable "on a motorcycle?

Lake Macquarie...
reviews: 15
11. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

You're welcome TH.

Keep in mind that the Road to Hana is much like Life. It's about the journey, not the destination. Nobody really wants to be the first to arrive at "Dead". Lap it up and let it enter your soul.

We always find the bike to be great on this road. You can pull up in less than half the space required for a car. You're immediately attune with your surroundings. You're senses are almost in overload and that's when it's the middle of a downpour, haha! You have vines & creepers hanging from trees over the road that almost brush your head as you cruise past. Water spurts and drizzles from rock fissures as you negotiate 180deg hairpins. Waterfalls burst out of dense greenery as you curve past them. Ocean escarpments sweep you high above the turquoise ocean that crashes onto the boulders so far below. Tiny trail entries tempt you everywhere. Roadside stall merchants smile and wave as slowly cruise through, with the engine repeating that timeless phrase, "Potato Potato Potato" . Ahhh…

The "Hula Pie" of the Hana Road banquet must be Oheo Gulch. I'm surprised at the number of people that I meet that have travelled the Road to Hana and then turned back without investigating this delicious surprise. If Haleakala is majestic, then Oheo Gulch is sensual. It make your heart jump at the very sight of her. She gracefully tumbles, rests and pours from level to level, accommodating those that take the time to immerse themselves in her utter beauty.

We always miss somethingorother on our Hana sojourns but what the hell. I do some study, but I refuse to take maps or books. I also think that sometimes you can research too much of a good thing. To have a CD or Navman chatting away all the time would defeat my purpose of being on a bike. In the same theme, I'm not a fan of sound systems on bikes that subject others to the ride's twisted idea of music. Ever ridden on a Toy Run with some drongo beside you playing "Jingle Bells" over and over for 15 miles? I was ready to jingle HIM by the end. Bah Humbug.

I remember a good friend threatening to strangle another of our mates because he told my friend's wife where she could buy a rider-pillion communicator. After the first day of a 3 day ride with the communicator, he erupted. To put it in his words "That's why I ride a bike, so I don't have to listen to endless chatter. Thanks for nothing. I ought to strangle you with this thing".

I enjoy the experience and don't want it dissected into specifically-allotted segments, preferring to let the road take my mind and on each occasion we've been rewarded with a euphoric ride (Damn it Tony, stop going all "astral hippie" on these poor folk. You know your wife threw your tie-dyed cheesecloth kaftan out decades ago). Just reminiscing about it is stirring me to want to spend a boatload of cash to do it all again.

Written and spoken by Hareynut. Financed by Tripadvisor's advertisers.

Edited: 5:33 am, March 18, 2013
S.F. Bay Area
reviews: 9
12. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Excellent info provided by Harleynut! I have to interject my 2-cents that, like whale season, the RTH can be quite trying at times on two wheels. The tourists are oft looking for some particular landmark on this narrow, inordinately windy & looooooong stretch of rodeway, or listening to their "RTH" CD, so not paying a smidgen of attention to what the hell's going on around them.

I've been hit twice (thankfully no damage to me or the respective "sled" I was rolling on..) from the rear on island, and nearly killed by a maniac whale watcher who directed two-tons of imported steel directly toward me in the OPPOSITE lane in which he was traveling. Psycho-tourist had his head turned COMPLETELY around, looking back at "Free Willy" who was performing a short ways off the shoreline for the random drivers-by..

I refuse to ride on island in whale season anymore, nor will I attempt the RTH without an extra of wheels underneath my posterior.. (Caveat: um....I DO still ride the oft very risky, northern island loop, & refuse to wear a brain bucket while riding anywhere in the state of Hawai'i, so I may not be the most reliable (or "sane" provider of advise on this subject.. ;)

Alo)(a, NKO

Bonney Lake, WA
reviews: 10
13. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

The road to Hana is ok for a bike. You'll be in 2nd gear most of the time though. I wouldn't recommend going past the 7 pools though as the road is terrible, you'll make it but not fun. Take the Piilani Hwy from the other end until the pavement goes bad if you want to see that side, it's beautiful. You'll only miss out on 12 miles or so that way and have a better time.

A word of warning to those wanting to rent a Harley. They are using the 2013 models now which run so hot that my wife and I got 3rd degree burns on our feet and legs. Not something that happened even 1 1/2 years ago, we had rented an Ultra for 2 days and brought it back a day early as the burns hurt so bad we couldn't enjoy it any longer. Harley will not refund you for early returns so beware and maybe try to find somewhere else where they have an older bike w/o the poor engine design due to pollution controls. Harley won't tell you about this, they just want your money and you'll find out about it only after 1/2 hour down the road.

S.F. Bay Area
14. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Lbaba-

Interesting about the heat issue, as the 103 is equipped with EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System) which significantly reduces the inner thigh-roasting heat coming off the Big V-Twin by cutting fuel and fire to the rear cylinder when idling. I actually find the new engine design FAAAR superior to all but the 110 (for a factory engine, anyway -- nothing from HD compares to S&S, the Victorys or the incredible as yet to be released [took a demo for an amazing spin at Arlen Ness recently] new Indian's power plant, performance-wise.)

I believe the EITMS is OFF by default from the factory, but it's quite surprising that the dealer doesn't have this activated on ALL bikes that have the system on island(?) Anyway, next time be sure to inquire about this feature &/or make sure your rental is equipped with the heat reduction system..

Alo)(a, NKO

kalamazoo michigan
15. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Great info everyone. We will definitely inquire about this when we go in December! Only 6 more months :-)

S.F. Bay Area
16. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Blasted through the mountains up to Big Sur on a 2013 Road Glide this weekend and got stuck in MAJOR father's day traffic coming back!

I determined that rolling the throttle forward at idle automatically engages the EITMS, thereby cutting power to the rear cylinder, which helps when that 103"er sits for awhile & begins to throw some heat at your thighs.. ;)

kalamazoo michigan
17. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

MauiNOKaO1 : thanks for the update. Im passing all of this info on to my husband so we can act/plan accordingly . We always wear jeans and boots/shoes so no bare skin around the engine but dont need any "extra warmth".

Tracey

18. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 19, 2014