We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kalamazoo michigan
Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Is it possible to rent a Harley Davidson on the Island? If so , would the Road to Hana be "doable "on a motorcycle?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 8
1. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

There are several options for bike rentals on Maui. Here's ons...

http://www.islandriders.com/harleys.html

The RTH would be very doable on a Harley.

Lake Macquarie...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Where are you staying? We used the HD dealer store in Lahaina, which is about a block south of the Banyan Tree Park on Front Street. I't's a small store with about 6-8 Harleys for hire. The main store is in Kahalui, on Dairy Road about a mile south of the airport.

The Hana Road is great motorcycle experience, BUT can be the "pits" when it rains. Those 600 hairpins turn into 600 stress points.

We had a magnificent ride there in Easter 2007, with the weather nothing short of perfect. plenty of water in the falls and a bright, sunny day.

In Easter 2010, we had to abort the ride at the Gardens Of Eden, due to the rain absolutely flogging down non-stop. The moment we arrived back around Kahalui, the clouds cleared to sporadic showers so we retired the bikes and made for the spa pool with a suitable beverage in plastic containers.

Easter 2012, we had another shot at the Hana Road. This time, the sky was scattered clouds and is did wet our face on one occasion. However, it was only a sun shower and left in a minute. The clods did assist in preventing sunburn to my stubble-covered scone.

A bit of a problem is that the Harley dealers don't open until about 9am and you really want to be long gone before then if you're going to cover the road and what it has to offer by nightfall. Remember, when you get there, you turn around and do it ALL again. The first time in 2007, we didn't arrive back until nearly 8pm and although the Hana Road is great in the daytime, at night it's filled with people racing back through unfamiliar corners. Throw in some crazy locals and the return is nothing short of tiring on the nerves.

In 2012, I negotiated a good deal with the boys at the Lahaina branch for renting the bike from 5pm the night before the ride and returning the bike at 9am the day after the ride. I delivered it back filled and cleaned so it was immediately ready for that day's rental. This allowed us to leave nice and early, grabbing a brunch about halfway along the Hana Road. We had no worries stopping several rimes and getting to Oheo Gulch with time to hike around.

Are you a HOG international member? If so, take your card and you'll get the HOG discount off your rental as well.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

We rented from the Harley dealer in Kahului. They were very friendly. It worked out great because we picked up the bike at 9am and returned it the following day at 5pm and were charged 1 day rent.

We drove the West Maui Mountains, counterclockwise on Hwy30 and 340. Stopped frequently, nothing like Hawaii on a bike. Great ride and the route is perfect for a bike as the road is very narrow.

Rented an EGlide Ultra Classic and only had 1100 miles on it. Also drove around up country, to Paia, Haiku. You could definitely to the RTH on a bike, but could get wet. if i remember correctly they gave us a free rain suit if needed, but we did not need it. I am a HOG member as well and had no hassles what so ever.

as said above, they open at 9 and the paperwork takes a bit of time so getting on the RTH that late might be a challenge with traffic. but you could always turn around and go somewhere else. We rented one when on the Big Island also. Renting one highly recommended (in fact after renting on the BI my wife was convinced we should buy a new HD! Bonus)

Lake Macquarie...
4. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Biker56, that 2007 ride in the (then) new 96cu Roadie was so good that the wife decided we should trade in the old Roadie for a new one. She was so keen that she went and put a $500dep on the anniversary model. I only had to come up with the rest…

Midwest USA
reviews: 120
5. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

The road to Hana is THE ride on Maui. Take your time and soak it in. It's awesome! Early start to avoid traffic. At 5:30 a.m. we were on the Hana Hwy. We took our time and stopped everywhere on the way in and road all the way out stopping once. Got sprinkled on a couple of times but the sun always returned. This was in December on a Tuesday. Rented in Kahului at HD. We reserved an Ultra Glide way ahead of time. Nothing like riding in the islands. Enjoy.

kalamazoo michigan
6. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

We are going around Christmas and will be staying at the Whaler in Kaanapali. Will be picking the bike up at Lahaina Harley-Davidson dealership. We have an Electra Glide reserved already but its the 9am -9am next day deal. I will be calling to see if we can work out a deal for the 5pm pickup with the 9am drop off the day after the RTH, so that we will be able to attempt the Road to Hana which sounds like an awesome experience on a bike!! Ive heard people talk of a narrative CD that people use in the car on the RTH- I know its probably a silly question to ask you all BUT have you done the RTH in a car w/ the CD and if so would you choose one over the other.. Thanks for all of the input. Only 9 more months!!

Tracey

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
7. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

I wouldn't choose driving in a car to be able to listen to the silly cd. It's informative but you can get the same info right here on TA. The only reason I would choose a car over a motorcycle, especially in the winter months would be due to weather.

Midwest USA
reviews: 120
8. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

My hubby just corrected me, it was an Electra Glide Ultra we rode in Maui...nice to know he reads my posts. We had a coupon that gave us a discount. We had the bike for 2 days so it made it easier as far as time frame. Forgot to mention that.

Lake Macquarie...
9. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Tracey, the Ultra will have a CD player as standard equipment, so If playing the CD is important, it can be done without having to rent a "Cage". I suggest doing a bit of homework about the Hana Road, so you don't miss good points to stop at. Doing U-turns on most of the road is not advised.

Have a great ride.

kalamazoo michigan
10. Re: Motorcycle Rental on Maui?

Harleynut, Thanks for that info! we have a Softail Duece- so no CD player on it :-) Yes , as with everything related to our 19 days in paradise, I am doing extensive TA research and have already purchased a couple books w/ maps and helpful info. I find this forum to be an incredible source of info. Thanks to everyone!