We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids/Adult Surfing Lessons

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 5
Kids/Adult Surfing Lessons

Arriving on April 10th for 5 nights. 2 families with a total of 2-6y/o and 2-8y/o all wanting to learn how to surf. What is the most cost effective way to do this? I have heard you can walk down the beach and there are stands out there with their boards and give lessons for about $30/hour ... is this true? Trying to avoid the bigger shops/resorts/prices. Thanks for any help!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 12
1. Re: Kids/Adult Surfing Lessons

Check out Goofyfoot surfing in Lahaina...unless one of you is a pro surfer you need someone to teach the kids! There is much more to surfing in the islands then just getting up on a board. You will have a much better experience getting some lessons!

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Kids/Adult Surfing Lessons

Our family used a place like Goofyfoot (can't remember since I wasn't part of the group) a few years ago. It was basically a private group lesson and everyone including a few middle aged folks got up... all documented by their staff photographer.

San Jose, California
reviews: 47
3. Re: Kids/Adult Surfing Lessons

I think you are supposed to book a lesson (usually 2 hours long, and comes with aqua shoes, shirts, and a board) with a place like Goofyfoot or Maui Wave Riders. It will cost quite a bit more than $30/hour.

However, with 4 kids, you can have your own private lesson, so one instructor and just your 4 kids.

Also, beware, if the two 6-year-olds can't really swimming, little big waves will knock them out of the board very quickly, and if they suck in salt water, then it could be all over too soon. This happened to my then 5 year old. That 2 hours lesson was over in about 10 minutes, with big crying.

My two kids had a semi private lesson with just the two of them with an instructor at age 8 and 10. They loved it. I was in the water the whole time help catching them if they fall, and help pushing them back to their instructor. So, with kids that young, it might require some parental dedication. Good exercise.

4. Re: Kids/Adult Surfing Lessons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 25, 2014