We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 4
Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

Have only enough money left from our 2 island visit to splurge on Fair Winds on the BIg Island to kealakekua bay or Trilogy cruise to island of Lanai on Maui. Have 3 boys preteen and teen age during March. Is the temp of the water about the same?

Thanks!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 157
1. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

Hands down, Fair Winds! Kealakekua Bay is outstanding - not to be missed. Fair Winds does a great job. Molokini could be fun for beginners, but if you've done any good snorkeling in the past, you may not be impressed. Maui does have excellent shore snorkeling, though. Hope you can get a couple of mornings to enjoy some of it.

According to this link, Kealakekua Bay is around 75F year round. Molokini is out in the ocean. I could not find any info on water temps there, but it stands to reason that the water will be colder. I used a wetsuit there last week and was glad I did!

www.hale-hoola.com/Captain-Cook-Monument.htm

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 8
2. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

The one thing I would think of is that with a Trilogy trip to Lana'i in March, you are likely to see humpback whales and/or spinner dolphins on the way over or back. Since its not a "whale watch", they might not stop, but still fun. I know there are cetaceans off the BI, but the humpback competitive groups are hot and heavy in March in the 'Au'au Channel.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 11
3. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

I have done both and LOVE both. That said, I would do the Trilogy to Lanai tour (if you had mentioned the Molokini tour I would have agreed with ddffpp).

You have a far better chance of seeing whales and the spinners are amazing and you also get a chance to visit another island!

Added benefit with kiddlets is that the feed you all day.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
4. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

Based on the fact that the snorkeling on the Big Island is the best in the state, I would take the Fair Winds. I don't think Lanai would come close to being as good!!

As far as stopping for whales, any time a vessel gets within 100 yds of a whale, by law they have to stop and cut their engines until the whales depart. You should be able to see whales around the Big Island too.

ddffpp, op is asking about Lanai, not Molokini!!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
5. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

Thanks for the correction. I really like the snorkeling around Lanai, so it would have helped if I had read it correctly!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 14
6. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

I would take Trilogy to Lanai! Make a day of it! See another Island. Wonderful sail, crew, food and memorable day.

Pittsburgh, PA
reviews: 15
7. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

Both would be great trips and both companies are top notch. You won't be disappointed with either choice. If I were you, I'd base it on what you had planned for the other days on each island. If you feel you have more free time on Maui, then book Trilogy. A couple of things to keep in mind: the snorkeling is better (clearer waters) on The Big Island; snorkeling from the shore is much easier (and abundant) on Maui. With all other things equal, I would probably take Fairwinds on BI and then snorkel from shore on Maui.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 4
8. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

Wonderful advice from all of you. Thanks! I will do the Fair Winds tour and maybe try to find a way to Lanai later.

Thanks everyone!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
9. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

Bigmaui: There is a ferry to Lanai from Maui:

http://www.go-lanai.com/

You could take it and snorkel from the beach. Lots of people rent a Jeep and tour the island, too.

10. Re: Fair Winds on BI or Triogy on Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 25, 2014