We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watch recommendations?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
reviews: 8
Whale watch recommendations?

Aloha! We are headed back to Maui in 32 days (but who is counting...)! ;) We have done numerous whale watch tours over the years--everything from the Pacific Whale Foundation to one of those inflatable-type (Zodiac?) to some random small bucket of bolts type boat that had a wonderful crew and great food. (Unfortunately, we can't remember who that was.) This is likely our last trip without the kids. So, any recommendations for whale watch tour outfits? Although we love to sail, the catamaran type trips have always seemed like a bunch of booze-cruisers and we would rather go with adults who are actually interested in seeing and learning about the whales. We are staying in Kaanapali and will have a rental car.

I just thought I would see if there are any local favorites to try out this time. Mahalo in advance!

Midwest
reviews: 47
11. Re: Whale watch recommendations?

I do not remember the name, but it is small and leaves from dock 11. Only about 25 people, just great

Rockville, MD
reviews: 7
12. Re: Whale watch recommendations?

Whale watching in Maui is one of our fav activities. Our favorite trip is a sunset whale watch, either with Paragon out of Lahaina(they limit the trip to around 25 people) or the Hula Girl (most beautiful boat, you pay for food and drink) which leaves from the beach in front of Whalers Village in Ka'anapali. We leave for Maui in 26 days!

Edited: 10:38 am, January 26, 2013
reviews: 2
13. Re: Whale watch recommendations?

We use Ultimate Whale Watch several times every year. They are fantastic!

Denver
reviews: 8
14. Re: Whale watch recommendations?

Great list of options! We often do more than one while we are in Maui, so might try a couple of the outfits mentioned, thanks! lucinjo, we will be there at the same time. We leave in 24 days! :)

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 266
15. Re: Whale watch recommendations?

Check out the Scotch Mist II which sails out of Lahaina harbor. Nothing like being out on the open sea in a real sailing yacht. We've sailed with them about a half-dozen times and the biggest crowd was 8 people. The crew are always fantastic!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
reviews: 29
16. Re: Whale watch recommendations?

I agree with John that the Scotch Mist II is wonderful! We just did a sunset sail with them last week. I think we had 12 passengers altogether, a full load. The crew was better than any of the other boats we've done and we really enjoyed the whales and the sailing. It seems to be a small family business and they really share their love of sailing and Maui with their guests.

Oh, my new avatar pic is from Scotch Mist II! They made sure everyone got a great picture just when the light was right!

Edited: 10:29 pm, January 28, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
17. Re: Whale watch recommendations?

We took a Pacific Whale Foundation sunrise cruise last weekend. Relaxing, informative and calm. Only 42 on the boat. There was a bar, but the early hour probably discouraged anyone from drinking (I had a diet cola), as well as keeping the number of passengers down. There were kids on the trip. The marine biologist on the trip had an undersea microphone she put in the water for a while so we could hear the songs and chatter. Learned a lot. We'd go again. Downside is having to get up well before sunrise, since the trip left at 6:30 a.m.,when it was still dark (if your kids aren't morning people, this could be a factor to consider). There was enough light to see the whales by the timne we got out of the harbor area.

18. Re: Whale watch recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 31, 2014